Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: fiber optic beam combining

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Catalanjo, He could just threshold at 1 watt.. I'm sure once you cross threshold gain will shoot through the roof...
    You may have to change dyes for one better pumped at 532.. He also messed with the OC radius, which is generally considered a bad move..
    He also was using a big CR-599, if you have the OEM one with the smaller three mirror cavity, life would be better..
    He tried Rhodamine 590, aka R6G, as it is the most likely candidate ... When his little laser mode-hopped, the dye flickered like crazy.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-11-2016 at 09:39.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i wish i had a laserscope sitting around... i would really like to play with some of the less toxic dyes.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Catalanjo, He could just threshold at 1 watt.. I'm sure once you cross threshold gain will shoot through the roof...
    You may have to change dyes for one better pumped at 532.. He also messed with the OC radius, which is generally considered a bad move..
    He also was using a big CR-599, if you have the OEM one with the smaller three mirror cavity, life would be better..
    He tried Rhodamine 590, aka R6G, as it is the most likely candidate ... When his little laser mode-hopped, the dye flickered like crazy.

Steve
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I killed them decanning and getting dirt in the die face. I broke a bond wire in one trying to align the diode in the jig. Guess since I was in wire bonder I could have fixed it.

Always wanted to try a dye laser. Are there any you can just pass a beam through with no optics to make it lase a different color? I have a little rhodamine 6g but nothing else.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I killed them decanning and getting dirt in the die face. I broke a bond wire in one trying to align the diode in the jig. Guess since I was in wire bonder I could have fixed it.

Always wanted to try a dye laser. Are there any you can just pass a beam through with no optics to make it lase a different color? I have a little rhodamine 6g but nothing else.
    you could use a little nitrogen laser and some fabric whitener.

from sam's laser faq:

Far and away, however, the best thing I've found along these lines so far is “Optic Whitener”, from Dharma Trading Co. A very small amount of this, diluted with isopropyl alcohol (70% rubbing alcohol from the drugstore seems to be just about ideal) or ethanol, will fill a dye cuvette that is pumped by a nitrogen laser; and the bottle contains 8 ounces, so it will last several lifetimes. I have also lased this stuff in the "Minimalist" flashlamp-pumped dye laser that I mention below, which stores only a dozen joules in its capacitor bank.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/chemica...-whitener.html
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Since most of this thread is totally off topic I I have a quick question.

@ "one with the smaller three mirror cavity" ... yep has a three mirror cavity but not OEM and certainly not very small !
    @ "You may have to change dyes for one better pumped at 532.. " ..... like which one ?

Cheers

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote" Like Which One?"
    !
    for a 532 nm pump, probably Rhodamine 590, R590, or Rhodamine 6G, maybe R610, which lase around a 570 nm peak... Except for 610 which is more red...
    The Coherent manual says adjust the concentration for 80-85% adsorption of the pump light.
    !
    You can look at dye charts here:
    !
    www.exciton.com
    !
    The dye adsorption peak is important, it should overlay 532 nm... ND:YAG pump on the chart means 532nm excitation..
    !
    I have a 375 Dye head, I'm waiting for KTP access before messing with it. Just sold the CVL, so no pulsed pump source for a dye laser around here right now, without taking it into work..

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-12-2016 at 10:01.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

The dyes are quite flexible. As long as you are operating below the concentrations where florescence quenching occurs (at least > 1x 10-3 M) you can just increase the concentration of the dye to reach that recommended 80-85% absorption. Rhodamine 110, 590, rhodamine B and sulforhodamine should all work with a 532nm pump.

Thanks R6G is what I already have, ....love the free running orange !
    Many thanks for pointers to the others.
    Cheers
    PS. End of off topic post !

i wish i had a laserscope sitting around... i would really like to play with some of the less toxic dyes.
    The dyes that you would care about, that produce brilliant blue to red output, are not very toxic or expensive and the solvents are the common alcohols and water. However, you have to be OCD to avoid staining EVERYTHING over the long haul.

http://www.exciton.com/

Get that Laserscope. The green is a bore and the beam is fat, but the dyes are sublime and the beam is excellent.