Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasershows as a full time job.

Cool

What an astonishing thread! Not much I can add to the mix here. Steve (mixed gas) has pretty much nailed everything down above.

One thing that would help, Dr. Laser, is to know your location. Are you in the US or abroad? (Being in the states ups the legal risk.) Also, if you are in the states, are you coastal (east or west - doesn't matter) or are you inland? (As Steve mentioned, if you're in the midwest you better love being on the road... It also limits your markets...)

About the only advice I can offer (beyond the excellent information already posted above) is to ask you what happens if everything bombs, you loose your shirt, and have to go back to working in your old career field? Are you currently in a field (say, programming, for example) where a 3 to 5 year absence would be enough to make your skills "stale" in the job market? If so, then that's a serious drawback.

On the other hand, if you have skills that age well and you don't think you'd have much trouble finding another job in the event you had to give up lasers, then the decision becomes a lot easier, doesn't it?

Adam

find the mid level people who make decisions, weddings, bat/bar mitzva (sorry for spelling ) Get on the raver/party websites/chatgroups.

It is already a past for me. Its all rolling and I dont need anymore clients. No need to advertise. Word of the mouth does it much faster.

About my education I have network engineerings degree plus electronic engineerings degree. Also Im diplomaed astrologer and palm reader. Plus really deep knowledge of Lights and PA systems. Also Im a DJ and have EBM Industrial band.http://www.predator-x.com/ But I think what Ill do is to find a job related to sound and lights. Probably some music retailer and will continue laser shows. Network and Electronics are useless specialties right now. Networking is done in India and Electronics in China.

Has anyone found a good way of drawing customers, getting more interest?
    Ok my trick which works all the time....a first show is free....after that they are one the hook. Trust me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    I'm (a) diplomaed astrologer and palm reader.
    ??? Didn't know there were diplomas even issued for that sort of thing. How does that impact your ability to get a job? (Do they actually ask if you have a diploma before they hire you as a palm reader?) Why would you even list this one?

Since you didn't answer the question of where you are located, I will assume that you are in the US. And in that case, if you're counting on using your palm reading or astrology skills to fall back on, then I'd say you're taking a big risk by quitting your day job.

On the other hand, a BS in Electronics Engineering is always going to be useful. That degree would get you a very good job *right now* at a half-dozen different employers in Charleston alone. (Follow this link and select the "Engineering / Technical" job category and hit the search button to see what I mean.)

Your statement that "Electronics is done in China" is foolish. One look at Monster.com will tell you that electronics skills are *still* in high demand just about everywhere. (Heck, the job listings in your local newspaper should be able to tell you that.) Plus Electronics skills age quite well. (Unlike, say, computer programming skills.)

Networking skills are less marketable, largely due to outsourcing, but also due to the dot.com crash of the late 1990's which released a glut of people back into the labor pool. Nevertheless there are still jobs for network admins being posted every day in our local paper. So that's another skill you can fall back on.

But astrology and palm reading? Come on... Are you serious?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Ok my trick which works all the time....a first show is free....after that they are one the hook. Trust me on that.
    My advice. NEVER discount you labor, never. Discount the gear to get a show, but never should you discount, or give free labor.

Where we are, dance promoters are major tight asses. You give them a good deal as a one off special, and next time they expect it.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Networking skills are less marketable, largely due to outsourcing, but also due to the dot.com crash of the late 1990's which released a glut of people back into the labor pool. Nevertheless there are still jobs for network admins being posted every day in our local paper. So that's another skill you can fall back on.

Adam
    I'm not so sure - Adrian and the place he works for are making some serious network money. There is always good money for people/companies who know their stuff..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post

Adam
    Yes Im... Looking trough some college brochure I was thinking what shell I take. Welding....done. Electronics done..... Networking ..done.. astrology... ahh COOL... Before I thought that astrology and palm reading is pure BS!....not anymore!

Im not in US. But very close
    Electronics.....haha.. here is not a big thing. There are few places and thats all. But electronics helps me building my projectors and other gear.

I believe smart people allways have to start their own business.
    And regarding Daves post. I totally disagree. Youre not giving them a deal.
    You show them what you can do and then if they like it they will ask how much for this every Friday.
    And even then I could be overtaken by someone paying more. I always state that right away.
    Like I said before Ive seen laser company going down. Im not making their mistakes.
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 06-22-2007 at 07:20.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    My advice. NEVER discount you labor, never. Discount the gear to get a show, but never should you discount, or give free labor.

Where we are, dance promoters are major tight asses. You give them a good deal as a one off special, and next time they expect it.
    tell me about, if they can get a lighting guy for 60$ cheaper, they'll go for it, even if it means the difference between getting live DMX control off a console and Clay Paky lights vs American DJ clones off canned DMX off a pocket controller, you know, the built in demo functions all night! ACK!

For the more social and corporate events, 1 massive charity giveaway
    can make you a star for a few years.

But never give anything to a dance promo type, especially one hooked on crack or crank or blow. Why do you think they promote dances in the first place?

Steve

I have done free demo's, one in particular, the event manager was very impressed saying he has never seen such a good show. I was so pleased thinking the bussiness would roll in from his side, but I have never heard from him again, he must have been bullshittin me?

Agree that club and dance promoters are the worst to do business with, always paying late and always killing you for discount.

I guess I have had the best experience with large corporate Co's.
    They pay way before they have to and always want another show !

have done free demo's, one in particular, the event manager was very impressed saying he has never seen such a good show. I was so pleased thinking the bussiness would roll in from his side, but I have never heard from him again, he must have been bullshittin me?

Sound like a tap on the shoulder......good boy good boy!
    Things like that happen. I just take it as a negative in my payroll

Dont know. I see your point about free shows but charity will not give you anything too. Maybe a tax return something.

Very strange but I mostly had a different experiences. I mean free shows. Im not doing it anymore but it helped me a lot to get into the mix. Now I dont do any booking. Its done for me. Sometimes I dont even know where Im going. Ohh which just reminds me to charge batteries for my remote controller. Plus have get to the store to get some drinks. Most of clubs will not give you free drinks....so I always bring my own... its sooo much cheaper and normally better.

Another thing...what this thing about `paying late` by clubs..... They should pay you right after party is over!
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 06-22-2007 at 08:38.

we've started charging 50% on arrival and the rest by midnight or we shut it down.
    if they give you half and are faced with the laser being shut off just as the headliner is going on,they will find a way to pay.