Thread: Keeping power supplies outside laser projector

Default Keeping power supplies outside laser projector

Hi guys,

To save on space and case costs I am wondering about the risks of putting the 12V and +-24V switch mode PSUs outside the projector (in their own housing) and running 5 wires (+12v, -12v, +24v, -24v, 24v common) through a high current unidirectional connector to the projector for power. The PSUs I have would take up half the space in the projector and the case required would cost way more than I wanted it to, plus the projector would be very heavy.

Questions:
    is it a bad idea to do this?
    is there a maximum length to the wires?
    do the wires need special shielding?
    any safety issues?
    does the projector still need to be grounded?

I know the PM series https://www.laserworld.com/shop/swisslas-pm-10-000rgb do a similar thing but it's just one 24V connector, instead of the 5 connections I would need here.

Thanks

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Only do this for the Galvo supplies if you have BIG filter caps in the projector end. A modern Galvo amplifier can draw a 6 to 8 amp current surge for a few hundred microseconds on moderate to large jumps. This surge raises your amp above ground. Use large diameter stranded wire as well, to lower the voltage drops. If your PSUs have it, use the "remote sense" leads on the PSU to cancel the I^2R drop from the resistance of the leads.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I don't recommend running any modulation in the same bundle. In fact I'd run the scanners alone with a big fat ground wrap. Plan on keeping the runs short like a few feet. Why not put the scanner supply inside and feeding the rest in. Still departed the DC and AC