Thread: UK 3 Phase Voltage Conversion (415v to 208v) - Stabilite 2017

Default UK 3 Phase Voltage Conversion (415v to 208v) - Stabilite 2017

Good Evening All,

I've managed to pick myself up a Spectra Physics Stabilite 2017 set I'm keen to get fired up, including the 2550 psu.

Now here in the uk we have a standard 3 phase voltage of 415v, the 2550 psu requires delta wired 208v 3 phase +/- 10% @ 43a.

Basically, how can I most cost effectively get this thing powered, I assume some form of transformer but exactly what type? Cheapest options? Thoughts on sourcing?

Can't see much on eBay with the exception of something like a 25kva 415-220 building site transformer which I assume converts to 1ph.

Not to hot on the 3phase thing so assume I know nothing!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Aidan

A 415V to 220V site transformer is 3 phase, so it will do the job.

Thanks.

What I don't really get is the output, that's going to give me lots of single phase outputs, not 3 phase?

Or would you just take a single phase out from L1 2 3 and connect those? I didn't think it was that easy / worked like that?

Also doubt those things will kick out 40a on a single output?

Regards,
    Regards,

Aidan

The outlets are probably on different phases, with 110V on each phase, but 208V between them. You'll need to do some re-wiring to get the outputs on a single commando connector, but at the end of the day, the transformer's the bit you need and that's what's in the box. You could take a phase from 3 outputs, once you've figured out the wiring. Just be aware of the earthing arrangements though, most site transformers are wired with a centre tap to earth, so effectively a 55-0-55V transformer with 0 connected to ground; if you then connect a load between 2 (or 3) phases, things will get messy! You will need to make new earthing arrangements, i.e. lift the secondary earths at the transformer; hopefully the transformer manufacturer made the earth connections outside of the transformer and not buried inside!

Ok, that's good info, thanks.

I'll leave that as plan B considering the power we are dealing with, I'll see if I can find something ready for the job as plan a.
    Regards,

Aidan

If you just want to borrow one for testing puposes, I have one lurking around here; whereabouts are you?

Cheltenham, J9 M5.

I was going to see if I could find one "locally" to borrow, I have no idea if this laser works you see, could of been an epic deal or an expensive paperweight!
    Regards,

Aidan

Unfortunately you're a good 2 1/2 to 3 hours away, I'm just outside of Cambridge.

No problem man, thanks for the offer.
    I'm down south a lot but rarely up that way North of London.
    Can bare it in mind if I get desporate.
    Regards,

Aidan