Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: better securing of optical mounts?

Good idea. Although I would be a bit concerned with the plastic deforming from the pressure over time and loosening.

That is actually not a problem. I have used these in an observatory environment with extreme cold and hot cycling, in some cases two decades, without loosening.

It makes sense. If the force that would cause the plastic to flow over time is the force that the plastic itself is exerting on the optic then as this drops from the initial tightening, the tendency to flow drops as well.

I was taught to use clear nail polish and I still do. Is this still a good method? How does it compare to the aforementioned varnish?

Clear nail polish, readily available pretty much anywhere, has served me well with no issues, so far.

I was taught to use clear nail polish and I still do. Is this still a good method?
    Yes it is. Aside from my post that goes down a little different track, this is a commonly used adhesive. Hopefully, no one you know will see you browsing the aisles; maybe bring a mount in defense or hide it in a Glamor magazine or just shop really late.

Or just use Amazon....

how owe about first contact lens cleaner. Seems about right.

On a side note instead of using first contact why not a acetone and plastic (ABS) solution? I used to use it on 3d printers with glass print bases and it peeled off similarly to how some of you describe. Although it does smell pretty strong before the acetone evaporates.

Quote Originally Posted by syrah View Post
    On a side note instead of using first contact why not a acetone and plastic (ABS) solution? I used to use it on 3d printers with glass print bases and it peeled off similarly to how some of you describe. Although it does smell pretty strong before the acetone evaporates.
    Here is a less toxic way to do the same thing. Poly Vinyl Alcohol. Makes a nice slime but dries rock hard and comes off with chipping or water. No solvents to worry about ruining an optic. HAVE NOT TRIED IT but seems reasonable from the viewpoint of a polymer chemist. It's cheap too. If I bought a 500g container for 5USD I could supply all of you for life.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Makes a nice slime but dries rock hard and comes off with chipping or water.
    Not sure I'd be comfortable chipping something on the optics, or having water on them which might leave residue when the water evaporates.

Residue is going to be a part of any adhesive addition used as a thread locker. Try outmy conformable tip method...it works.

I didn't mean as a thread locker, but used as an optics sealing or cleaning coating.