Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galvo testing

Default Galvo testing

Alright, this must be something very simple, but I probably am that much of a novice at this too. So here goes... I managed to come across a few galvos for damn near free! at $5 a pop, I really think something has to be wrong with them. They came complete with the mirrors which are chipped a bit but still very functional, and absolutely no identification, datasheet or anything. There were a few numbers on the galvos themselves but I couldn't identify them being the beginner I am in this field. As a matter of fact I hadn't even thought of doing a scanner until I came across these galvos now. Therefore the questions now follow... What would be the absolute easiest way to test a galvo? Or how would be the easiest way to drive a galvo temporarily? I have a USB device that converts signals to a somewhat of a high-speed RS232 port. I have previously used it to drive a stepper motor using a motor driver. Although, with galvos, they sense current change instead of voltage, right? And to control them you pretty much have to create a sine-like current wave. At least that's how I think of it. Does that make sense at all? Any beginner advice and guidance into where to look for a quick and dirty galvo test would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you;
    DDL

So, I after thinking about it long enough I managed to understand the principle of these things... and get a working pair of Galvo's for $10. Now on to the art...

--DDL

You went from clueless to having them working in 1 day? That's pretty darn good. What are you using as a driver?

I got them wired up to an amplifier...

I just wanted to test them, and I did just that. I had to redo some soldering inside the galvo's themselves, but I managed to get them up and running. At $10 a pair, you can't really beat that... :P

I'm thinking now of setting up one of the older laptops I have and use it as my driver. I'm not sure how good it'll be considering the noise levels and all that. But going from nothing to a working project in a week's time should be a good accomplishment.

--DDL

Wink

Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

ROFL!!! Love the smilies!

Talking

ROFLCOPTERS!

You are the undisputed king of the smileys, Aaron!

Adam

ROTFLMAO Aron!

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

F*ckin hilarious Aaron--even the 2nd time.
    DDL- May I inquire where you acquired a set of $10 galvos?
    That's right in my price-range

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Question

if you take a picture, we can identify them, there are only a few makes on the market and hooking up the wrong leads can sometimes do damage. or in the case of some products, you need to wire the coils in series or parallel with the correct polarity, show us please a closeup or tell me any numbers on them?

Steve