Thread: Help for a newbie please

Default Help for a newbie please

I dont have a projector - but I believe I have concluded on getting a Kvant 800 or 1800 - they appear to have very capable scanning capabilities as well as being quite well made.

It is purly a hobby I would like to try, and having gained experience with LED pixels using Madrix for Live sound to light, adding lasers is the next logcal step.
    I can string a few thousand RGB pixels across the ceiling and get them to dance to the music (even in 3D) - multicast connected controlers etc. All good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IKA6n3z3A

Not having invested in a Laser yet, I would like to experiment with beams as well as projection of images.
    I particularly like the software to change scenes (cues) with the beat of live music rather than a time-line based show - and have experimented a little with Quickshow (good on them for allowing a demo version of QS)- it appears to do it quite well with VLJ.
    I had to use Virtual Audio Cable to create a Line level output from an audio play to get QS to recognise the beats of music - but thats probably because the mic on my laptop is rubbish.
    QS should have some sort of audio frequesncy response tuning capablity cos Madrix doesnt have a problem with my laptop's internal mic.

I'll probably move to timeline shows at some point if I can workout how to sync Madirix with the Laser software, but I want to get used to what lasers are capable of 1st with just beat detection.

Some basic questions -
    1. How do I do beam shows at home with an Kvant safely - I dont quite get how the projector is basically facing people displaying beams - and yet it appears to be video'd (on youtube) without blinding the camera (or people). Is there masking involved - or are the beams only directed towards the extrmities ? Should I even be worried about the output of a Kvant 800 or 1800 for beams ? Is there a safe distance the beams need to project before they are safe ?

2. Is there a way to get LS to make a Live spectrum analyser of the music it is hearing in VLJ mode ? I see it can change cues to beats, but that is not exactly the same as interpreting the frequencies being fed to the software and displaying a sign wave.

3. I want to be able to experiement at home in a much smaller room than a hall - how do I do this safely - particularly with beams - where the projector is basically facing the people.

4. Other than LS - is there any other packages worth considering for Live music to light syncronisation ?

I appologise if these sound like stupid questions, and I can hear everyone tut - but would very much appreciate some constructive guidence.

LED's are really only dangerous because of the amount of current they can draw - and that is a completly different saftely hazard to lasers.

Regards
    Rich
    Last edited by ric9887; 08-09-2016 at 14:53.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi Rich, welcome to PL. Sorry you haven't gotten a response yet but, that may be that a large number of active members of the forum are all at a huge laser enthusiast gathering for 6 days in North Carolina, me included and, I will happily respond to your long introduction when I have some time to type a proper reply. I see you are in the UK so, it's quite possible our friends from over the pond may be jumping in soon with replies.
    ~Brad
    PM Sent...

Hi Brad, I figured that people were probably all having some fun at the event.
    Thanks for taking the time to post a quick reply though.
    Cheers
    Rich

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi Rich,
    First, congratulations on being able to have experience with the Madrix system. I've seen a number of Youtube vids and have thought that would be something awesome to get for the banquet hall I manage. Cool stuff!
    Either of the Clubmax projectors are a great choice for getting into things entry level and would be fine for home use. For a club, particularly one where you're fighting other ambient lighting... including the Madrix pixels, both are likely underpowered to be any sort of wow factor. Depending on the size of the club, for beams overhead, I think you want to think about 3-12 watts. Now, that being said, it sounds like you're also looking to do an effect called audience scanning and, that is not something to undertake as a beginner. While the UK is not as restrictive as here in the US, there is a certain level of safety required as a matter of practice that you must adhere to. As you said, LED's aren't going to hurt anybody but, with lasers you have first a risk to eyesight and, to a lesser degree, skin issues and fire issues in the club. There are levels of exposure generally regarded as "safe" to eyesight and it is of the utmost importance that you stay within those exposure levels. The projector itself should be set up for audience scanning which will include things such as Pangolin's PASS and divergent lenses on the front of the projector. You'll need special meters to insure during set up that the beams are actually safe. It's really not something to get into as a new person just starting out.
    As far as the software, while Quickshow is quite a capable piece of software, to do a few of the things you're looking to do such as the live spectrum analyzer, you need to look at Pangolin's Beyond software which is a three fold jump in cost but, will give you all the necessary tools to work with.
    The Clubmax 800 and 1800 are fine for home use and both would be excellent for your graphics work, even in the club but, basically keep the beams above the audience or, when at home, above yourself. Ensure no stray beams are going out a window which could affect a neighbor.
    Keep reading, keep asking questions and, for a really amazing time and a tremendously educational experience, try to get to a UKLEM held twice a year in Spaulding. There are threads about the event in the "Meet and Greet" section of the forum.
    ~Brad
    Oh, and as an answer to your question about the distance required to be "safe" you're going to not believe this answer but, doing a quick calculation using James Stewarts NOHD software (someone in the UK you really want to talk to) the distance away from a Clubmax 800 running full tilt that you need to be to view the beams safely in the eyes is 182 meters! That's a BIG club!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 08-17-2016 at 02:53.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by ric9887 View Post
    ...and yet it appears to be video'd (on youtube) without blinding the camera (or people).
    Not blinding people is the difficult part and was covered by Brad. As far as filming beam shows without blinding the camera, that is pretty simple - as the camera is usually not moving - so you can simply set the camera up and use a "safe zone" in your Laser Show software. Most of the professional laser show software has this capability,. You basically mask out the small area where the camera lens is, and whenever the laser would cross that safe area, it is blanked by the software.

What I usually do is set up my camera and then put on a lens cap that has a mirror glued to it. Then set up some beams that scan vertically and horizontally through the are with the camera. I can then adjust the safe-zone in real-time and tell when the beam stops hitting the camera lens before taking the lens cover off and actually doing the filming.

Other people may use different methods - but the secret is in the laser show software safe zones.

I couldn't explain better

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Hi Rich,
    First, congratulations on being able to have experience with the Madrix system. I've seen a number of Youtube vids and have thought that would be something awesome to get for the banquet hall I manage. Cool stuff!
    Either of the Clubmax projectors are a great choice for getting into things entry level and would be fine for home use. For a club, particularly one where you're fighting other ambient lighting... including the Madrix pixels, both are likely underpowered to be any sort of wow factor. Depending on the size of the club, for beams overhead, I think you want to think about 3-12 watts. Now, that being said, it sounds like you're also looking to do an effect called audience scanning and, that is not something to undertake as a beginner. While the UK is not as restrictive as here in the US, there is a certain level of safety required as a matter of practice that you must adhere to. As you said, LED's aren't going to hurt anybody but, with lasers you have first a risk to eyesight and, to a lesser degree, skin issues and fire issues in the club. There are levels of exposure generally regarded as "safe" to eyesight and it is of the utmost importance that you stay within those exposure levels. The projector itself should be set up for audience scanning which will include things such as Pangolin's PASS and divergent lenses on the front of the projector. You'll need special meters to insure during set up that the beams are actually safe. It's really not something to get into as a new person just starting out.
    As far as the software, while Quickshow is quite a capable piece of software, to do a few of the things you're looking to do such as the live spectrum analyzer, you need to look at Pangolin's Beyond software which is a three fold jump in cost but, will give you all the necessary tools to work with.
    The Clubmax 800 and 1800 are fine for home use and both would be excellent for your graphics work, even in the club but, basically keep the beams above the audience or, when at home, above yourself. Ensure no stray beams are going out a window which could affect a neighbor.
    Keep reading, keep asking questions and, for a really amazing time and a tremendously educational experience, try to get to a UKLEM held twice a year in Spaulding. There are threads about the event in the "Meet and Greet" section of the forum.
    ~Brad
    Oh, and as an answer to your question about the distance required to be "safe" you're going to not believe this answer but, doing a quick calculation using James Stewarts NOHD software (someone in the UK you really want to talk to) the distance away from a Clubmax 800 running full tilt that you need to be to view the beams safely in the eyes is 182 meters! That's a BIG club!