Thread: got my plate;)

Default got my plate;)

i got a nice 1/4" aluminum plate to use for my beambox build/kludge.

there is a drill press at work as well as a metal cutting bench saw.
    a happy development is the mirror mount i have to remove from inside the beambox is a true kinematic mount.
    i was set to use one of the mounts from the beam modules to bounce my new 100mw 532 in but they are not truly stable and i'm sure i would have regretted it when i ended up having to align it every time i wanted to use it.

mirror question.
    the mount has a dicro on it bouncing 532 45 degrees and letting red of some wavelength pass through from behind.

what i'm wondering is,since i'm only using 532,should i replace the dicro with a 95% aluminum front coated mirror or will the dicro be around standard(95%)

Cool

The dichro should be better than a standard mirror. I'd use it.

Adam

aha!
    is that because it is designed specifically to reflect 532nm as opposed to just a general light reflectivity as in the case of a plain front surface mirror?

Cool

Bingo!

Unless you have an expensive first-surface mirror, you'll only get like 95% reflectance from it. Whereas a dichro will often be 98% or better simply because the optical coating has to be very precise in order to reflect one wavelength and pass another. This extra precision leads to better reflective efficiency.

If you have a power meter you can perform a few tests and see the results for yourself. It's a cool experiment for a rainy weekend afternoon...

Adam