Thread: few questions about handling optics

Default few questions about handling optics

New to DIY lasers and I got my first package with diodes, mounts and optics shipped. Before I start I'd like to know the following.

1. What do you use for handling optics like positioning a dichro or pbs on a mount and gluing it? Bare hands? Gloves? Forceps?

2. Is sweat and oil from the fingers damaging to the optics or their coatings?

3. What is the white paper the optics I got are wrapped around? Lens tissue? / Should I use only that for covering and storing optics for later use?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Yol8r; 08-23-2016 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Yol8r View Post
    New to DIY lasers and I got my first package with diodes, mounts and optics shipped. Before I start I'd like to know the following.

1. What do you use for handling optics like positioning a dichro or pbs on a mount and gluing it? Bare hands? Gloves? Forceps?

2. Is sweat and oil from the fingers damaging to the optics or their coatings?

3. What is the white paper the optics I got are wrapped around? Lens tissue? / Should I use only that for covering and storing optics for later use?

Thanks in advance.
    @ 1.....Yes,yes,& yes......depending on circumstance.
    @ 2..... not usually but sometomes yes depending on the optic in question.
    @ 3.... haven't a clue ...... but I tend to use cigarette rolling paper which (since I smoke a lot) I have to hand constantly.

Best storage system I have met so far, are little transparent plastic boxes with a flexible (again transparent) film in both base and cover which leaves optic suspended between two "trampolines", and entirely visible from outside the box. I believe that CNI used to ship their optics in these containers and I would dearly like to source a supply of these.

Interesting username ...can I assume that you have gone the whole hog and shaved your head to match the mag7 vibe?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post

Best storage system I have met so far, are little transparent plastic boxes with a flexible (again transparent) film in both base and cover which leaves optic suspended between two "trampolines", and entirely visible from outside the box. I believe that CNI used to ship their optics in these containers and I would dearly like to source a supply of these.

...you mean these? Crystalair Compression Packs.
    http://ade-usa.com/Compression.htm

I'm not sure how to get them directly from ADE, but they seem to pop up pretty frequently at industrial surplus stores in the US. I see them all the time at Skycraft Surplus in Orlando.
    http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/cryst...sionpacks.aspx
    http://www.surplusgizmos.com/ADE-Inc...15_p_2570.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UtheMan3.gif 
Views:	12 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	50680
    Ta very much ! ....pity they are from the wrong side of the pond! (from my perspective obviously!)
    Cheers
    PS. Bloody ell ...not cheap are they !
    From fleabay "ADE Inc. Crystalair Compression Packs (Lot of 4) For Storage = £5.13 Was: £6.04 + £39.81 postage"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faint.gif 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.4 KB 
ID:	50681
    Last edited by catalanjo; 08-25-2016 at 18:35.