Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribb-LEM Mark III, March 1st-11th of 2017 (or March 4th-11th if you want 7 days)

My first experience in the Caribbean was certainly live hanging. As was the second, and as will the third here in October.

The carefree attitude sells the place. It's a pleasant reprieve from the rest of the world's chaos.
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.

Hi guys,

Sorry for not hanging out sooner.

The medical only a requirement for those wishing to take part in any courses or experiences. If you are already certified then no need for the medical. The medical can be found here

Yes extending the trip is no problem. If you sign up for the 7 day and then decide you can or want to do the 10 day then just let me know so we can update your invoice.

Just to clarify Adams initial post. San Pedro has a Vip lounge (Hank has used it - I hear good things) however Roatan does not. Roatan does have a bar both land and air side. The sandwiches in the departure lounge are awesome.

As the reservations/bookings come in I'll start a new thread to keep track of it all.

FYI 7 (1 is mine) rooms have already been booked through my dive shop and i only sent the email out yesterday! This trip in March is going to be epic!!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    What's funny is, truth be told, it's perhaps really a bit ghetto as compared to what you "think" of when going to the Caribbean and yet, the magic of the place leaves you wanting to go no where else, or leave for that matter. This is not high rise luxury hotels, golf courses, and yachts. It's the real deal. Exceptional diving, excellent food, warm and friendly people, great weather, inexpensive, and really a rare chance to truly get away from it all, disconnect and relax.
    Oh, and what Brad said is absolutely true. I went for a 4 week vacation back in 2006 and ended up staying for 9 years before moving to the US.

Cheers
    Rich

Ok, I'm ready for Utila. Or, in other words, "just call me 'SCUBA Brad'".

I just bought $1,200 of semi-used SCUBA gear off of Craigslist (actual value about $2,000).. a brand new weight-integrated BCD (Aqualung Pro QD with Airsource 3), an Apeks XTX50 Regulator and a yoke/octo with air-integrated Suunto Cobra dive computer, a mask, Mares Quattro Excel fins, fin boots, a dive knife, and some other dodads. I'll probably leave the fins and boots at home, they're pretty big to travel with.

The "Airsource 3" is interesting. Instead of having a separate backup/secondary regulator, the manual BCD inflation inlet is also a secondary regulator, so if someone needs backup air (or if thre primary regulator fails), you can use that as the backup... or if you're helping someone else, you give them your primary regulator and use the Airsource 3 as your primary. It's one less hose+regulator to worry about. Pretty neat.

Really looking forward to putting all this to good use. I'm also seriously considering doing the advanced open water course. Brad, Jonathan?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hahaha.... I bought scuba gear after Utila but, nothing compared to what you've picked up. mask, snorkel, fins, cap, socks, and octo but, don't think I'll use it, and some other stuff. I am however looking at dive computers between now and then.
    As far as advanced, yes, I'm thinking about it as well but, my suggestion would be - and what I want to talk to Rich about - would be fun dives Thursday, and Friday after we arrive just to get back into the swing of things and then, start the advanced course Sunday or Monday or Saturday morning or whatever. I want to be able to do the night dive(s) and the ship so, we probably need to be done the advanced prior to that.
    PM Sent...

Sounds good, but I'd want to do all the online book-learn'n at home before the trip, and then do the dives/course down there, like we did last time (well, like I did).

Rich/Adam -- how many days/dives does the advanced open water course take?

The AOW is 5 dives, 2 days. Book work is very minimal and probably better to do onsite as we can link it the local environment. The eLearning doesn't have all the options available as of yet.

If you are looking at computers let me know what interests you and I'll get you 'mates' rates (providing I have an account with that brand)

I know you posted this somewhere, but how much is the AOW course?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just checked the PADI site. 2 required dives (deep and underwater navigation) and 3 others of your choosing for a total of 5. So it looks like a couple days. The online course I believe is $165.

(Oops - I was on the PADI site when Rich replied and didn't realize he had.)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 09-07-2016 at 16:48.
    PM Sent...

Thumbs up

The advanced course is a lot of fun. It's more about learning cool stuff you are interested in while you are actually diving, verses all the book work and time in the pool demonstrating basic skills that you had to do for your basic open water.

When Cody and I did the course back in 2013 at the very first Caribb-LEM, we did fish identification, underwater navigation, peak performance buoyancy, deep diving, and wreck diving. We could have done night diving too, but at the time I didn't think I'd enjoy it. That was a mistake though. I've since been on several night dives, and they are awesome!

Here's a cool article that explains why the advanced course is a good idea even for inexperienced divers: http://www2.padi.com/blog/2011/03/09...-water-course/

Also, I managed to get another short video clip uploaded. I'm still playing around with the color correction filter settings, but this one looks better than the first one I uploaded:

Adam

AOW course is $300 including materials and certification fee