Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribb-LEM Mark III, March 1st-11th of 2017 (or March 4th-11th if you want 7 days)

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi View Post
    I plan to do the PADI Classroom and Pool training prior to my arrival.
    I would get started on it soon. It does take some time to get through. Granted I tried doing mine at work so it took longer than if I were sitting at home doing it but, it's still pretty lengthy. I had to finish it on the island and endure slow internet for the last few sections.
    PM Sent...

I have a ham ticket, wasn't planning to bring beofeng but I guess I could. It's not under the jurisdiction of the FCC so unless you're trying to make contacts you can pretty much use the frequencies you want -- just don't interfere with businesses?

On my T-Mobile plan Utila is supposed to be unlimited 3G data and text, 20 cent per minute calls. So I plan to just run my phone like I did in Europe. People are welcome to tether of course.

My pack list so far:

Laser stuff:
    Windows 10 Dell laptop w/ Beyond 2.0 (pre-split) and latest Beyond Advanced, Ilda SOS, LSX, etc.
    FB3 DAC, Etherdream1 DAC, LSX Dongle, A few thumbdrives. DB25 straight through M-F cable. I'm going to download a bunch of 3d models, and see what I need for format converters to bring stuff into Beyond 3d. Some music to set to shows if I get to it. An optical mouse.

Canon Elph camera + SD cards + housing, Canon Vixia camcorder + SD cards.

Shorty wetsuit, booties, mask/snorkel, regulator set + din to yoke (maybe), dive computer (still hunting to EXT version of Shearwater, might settle for stand alone :-/ ), dramamine, ear drying drops

Sweet cargo shorts and inconspicuous non-touristy t-shirts. Bathing suit.

Smile

I would suggest bringing two bathing suits so you can switch off one day to the next. That way one is drying while you're out diving in the other one.

Totally agree with Brad about people doing SCUBA training in advance of the trip: Get started now! It will take you longer than you think, because the early modules are short (and easy) but some of the later ones are *much* more involved (so they take longer to finish). Don't end up so far behind that you have to finish them on the island like Brad and Hank did last trip. It takes away from your fun time!

Matt, I sent you a PM concerning your flight. You can definitely get other flights that will get you there on Wednesday with enough time to catch the hop to the Island. That will save you the cost of the hotel in San Pedro (each way) and also save you 2 days of vacation time... Look into Delta flights connecting through Atlanta or American Airlines flights connecting through Miami.

Note that if anyone wants to explore the rest of the island, you can rent a scooter, or a motorcycle, or a bicycle at several shops in town and go exploring. Rich can comment more on this, but I know we offered something like this as an activity for past trips but no one ever expressed an interest in doing it.

Doubt that there are any repeaters on the island, but a couple 2-meter handy-talkies might be useful in simplex mode. (Not a ham anymore, but I remember enough to be dangerous!) Then again, we'd probably be just as well off with a standard set of consumer-grade radios from Walmart. Not much RFI on the island, after all. And since we're likely to all be together anyway, it might not be worth the extra weight in your bag... (Might never need to use them.)

I'll probably bring mask, snorkel, fins, and maybe a 2.2 mil shorty wetsuit. Didn't bring the wetsuit the last two times, but I finally found my old one, so if there's room, I'm bringing it. Will definitely have my GoPro with underwater housing and UK-pole again. Will also bring a laptop with Beyond Ultimate (both 2.0 SLE version and newer 2.1 version) and two FB3s. Guess I can bring my WAV-USB unit too... And a DZ splitter of course. Maybe a few shorter ILDA cables (25 footers).

Not sure yet about projectors. If I get the pair of 8 watt units built, and if I can figure out how to pack them safely, I might bring those - we'll see. (They'll be kinda heavy.) No promises at this point, as I haven't even built them yet.

Rich was talking about a group chat using either Skype or Google Chat so everyone could get together and discuss things / get questions answered. Thinking a weekend would be best - maybe the weekend of Feb 4-5? Start thinking about it at least, and I'll see what Rich says.

Damn - this is just over a month away! WHOO HOO! Can't wait... It's going to be a great time!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Don't end up so far behind that you have to finish them on the island like Brad and Hank did last trip.
    Hey now!! I was DONE with my classroom training before I got to Utila.

I think it was that other uranium dude that wasn't done.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Hey now!! I was DONE with my classroom training before I got to Utila.
    I think it was that other uranium dude that wasn't done.
    My bad!

I knew there were two people working on classroom stuff, but I guess I got you confused with Johnathan.

Really though? You decided to go with Uranium as a surrogate for Platinum? You couldn't go with one of the other transition metals? You had to jump straight to the actinide series? That's a paddlin'!

Adam

Really though? You decided to go with Uranium as a surrogate for Platinum? You couldn't go with one of the other transition metals? You had to jump straight to the actinide series? That's a paddlin'!

I was going to go with Titanium, but I just don't like Jonathan that much.

But seriously, I just watched this two-hour PBS special on Uranium by Dr. Derek Muller, which was totally awesome.

http://www.pbs.org/program/uranium-t...-dragons-tail/

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I prefer mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

My bad!

I knew there were two people working on classroom stuff, but I guess I got you confused with Johnathan.

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I was going to go with Titanium, but I just don't like Jonathan that much.

. . .
    Jeeze! I promise I'll never try to stick my hand in the output of your Tesla coil ever again! :P

He he...

BTW, Tesla coil is dead... I fried the controller. Will get it fixed soon.

And NO, I'm not bringing it to Utila!

He he...

BTW, Tesla coil is dead... I fried the controller. Will get it fixed soon.

And NO, I'm not bringing it to Utila!

Hmmm underwater tesla coil.

What song was it playing when it exploded?