Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Caribb-LEM Mark III, March 1st-11th of 2017 (or March 4th-11th if you want 7 days)

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    Ah thanks. Yea, all my personal fins (that I'm not bringing) are strapped (yo), never heard of dive socks but hey! Less to pack!
    Thanks for the info! So close! Getting giggly.

Going to pick up a Maxwell license as well -- want to play with that a bit. DAW MIDI -> Maxwell seems like it could be interesting!
    Was stupid and used strapped fins without booties once. I am surprise a shark didn't eat me because my toes were bloody after I was done.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey guys,

After reviewing the dive footage I noticed a mistake in my logs. The first dive on Day 5 (my 9th dive) was at Ron's Wreck, not Ted's Point. I have corrected the information in my post above.

Note that Ted's Point, Moon Hole, and Ron's Wreck are all pretty close to each other, so it's not a huge difference. But the GoPro video clearly shows Ron's Wreck for dive # 9. Sorry about the mistake!

Adam
    I'll confirm what Faye told me for that day because we weren't sure either and she double checked.
    PM Sent...

Underwater drone?? ADAM --- Think of the possibilities!!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...one-technology

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok.... so to clarify. The first dive on day 5 (March 6th) was, according to Faye, Ted's Point, followed by Silver Gardens. I had it written down as Ron's Wreck as well but, she corrected me at the dive shop and I have Ron's Wreck crossed off and Ted's Point written in my log book. There IS, in fact, a wreck (sunken sailboat) at Ted's Point as described on page 17 of the Utila Dive Guide we bought - which *could* be what's on the GoPro video. Now... my only issue with that is, my dive computer recorded a max depth of 59 feet and according to the book, Ron's wreck is at about the 60 foot mark and appears close to a reef whereas the sailboat and Ted's Point appears to be in more open sand at 60-70 feet. I remember seeing the wreck and it being closer to a reef.
    While Ron's Wreck, Moon Hole and Ted's Point are in somewhat close proximity as you mentioned, Ted's Point is also physically separated from them by Airport Caves and Eagle Ray Alley so, there IS quite some distance between the two wrecks.
    Maybe we should check with Coral View's log to be certain - perhaps Faye had it wrong (?).
    PM Sent...

Hey Brad;

I'm at a show this weekend, but next week when I return home I should have some time to go through more of the GoPro footage. But during my previews I noticed Ron's Wreck and that triggered my memory of Faye's briefing of the site when we were on the boat. (Remember she said that the guy didn't want to pay for the boat anymore so he sunk it?) We were swimming mostly west-south-west when we found it off to our right, and it was definitely right up next to the reef. There was a burr fish (Puffer) near the bow.

Adam

Long time no SCUBA talk!

What do you guys think of this?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...ter-innovation

I like the concept, but the device seems really bulky above the mask. Maybe a better design would be to have a remote transmitter and just a receiver/HUD unit on the mask. Although I do like the 'buddy screen' info too.

Also, for this to be really useful/cool, it would have to have a tank pressure display with a remote transmitter there, too. Heck, you could have just one tank mounted transmitter to do it all, and a HUD on the mask.

It's probably way too early to support a kickstarter like this, but I like the direction it's heading. Perhaps there will be other competitors to offer fully integrated HUDs for SCUBA.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    If I understand the video correctly, the display is only projected onto the curved piece of plastic that hangs in front of your mask. If that is the case, then the display area is rather small. I would probably need corrective lenses installed in the top of my mask to read the tiny numbers.

the device seems really bulky above the mask
    The video reminded me of the time I tried to SCUBA dive with my GoPro mounted on a head band above my mask. It was very awkward! I think this will be very similar.

Maybe a better design would be to have a remote transmitter and just a receiver/HUD unit on the mask.
    That would probably help, though I know that wireless technology is difficult to implement underwater...

Although I do like the 'buddy screen' info too.
    Wonder what the range is? (Didn't notice anything about that in the video...)

for this to be really useful/cool, it would have to have a tank pressure display with a remote transmitter there, too. Heck, you could have just one tank mounted transmitter to do it all, and a HUD on the mask.
    They have wireless pressure monitors now that talk to your dive computer, so this is doable.

I think the ideal solution would be a standard wrist-mount computer with a normal display and then the wireless heads-up display mounted directly to your mask. Then, if there is an issue with the HUD, you still have the main screen on the computer as a backup.

Adam

. If that is the case, then the display area is rather small. I would probably need corrective lenses installed in the top of my mask to read the tiny numbers.
    Their website says it works with corrective lenses.. I need 2.0x to 2.5x lens inserts in my mask to see my dive computer. So they know a lot of people have this need.

Wonder what the range is? (Didn't notice anything about that in the video...)

No range -- it just displays your information so your buddy can see it easily -- like if you've stopped for a safety stop.

I think the ideal solution would be a standard wrist-mount computer with a normal display and then the wireless heads-up display mounted directly to your mask. Then, if there is an issue with the HUD, you still have the main screen on the computer as a backup.
    yeah, that's why I said I'm interested in the next incarnation that hopefully does what you describe.. I could see a tiny ribbon cable to a transparent display mounted inside or outside the mask, going to a computer somewhere else.

It looks promising, a few years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Long time no SCUBA talk!

I like the concept, but the device seems really bulky above the mask. Maybe a better design would be to have a remote transmitter and just a receiver/HUD unit on the mask. Although I do like the 'buddy screen' info too.

Also, for this to be really useful/cool, it would have to have a tank pressure display with a remote transmitter there, too. Heck, you could have just one tank mounted transmitter to do it all, and a HUD on the mask.

It's probably way too early to support a kickstarter like this, but I like the direction it's heading. Perhaps there will be other competitors to offer fully integrated HUDs for SCUBA.
    Howdy Hank!

So there was a dive computer integrated into the mask not that long ago. I think it was called a datamask?

Shearwater makes a heads up for their Canbus rebreather controller series as well, called the NERD. A lot of the rebreather setups have a blinking RGB LED or an array of them for relaying ppo2 level type stuff. Nerd goes to actual data (I assume there is a lens like mask to help one focus on it when your eyes are focused at something in the distance?

I use the Shearwater Perdix AI computer which can monitor two of the wireless tank transmitters. It was meant as a way for a tech person to monitor two tanks. But over the summer when diving with a friend at Lake Pheonix (one of the semi-local quarries) I programmed in his transmitter information into my Perdix so I could see his gas level as well as mine. The acoustic data transmission (or is it HF radio?) didn't work so great at much of a distance, and the computer kept throwing out errors from time to time. More errors than actual readings IIRC. His wireless AI computer worked fine, it's a one way communication pressure transducer to computer.

Note - most of the wireless AI (air integrated) dive computers use a transmitter made by one source.

There are higher power acoustic modems for UW data communications, but they're not usually found on the SCUBA tank pressure transmitters that are currently on the market!

Datamask:
    http://www.dive-computer-wizard.com/...3144827533.jpg

Cool, thanks.

. . . . . . .