Thread: Audio to ILDA conversion software?

Default Audio to ILDA conversion software?

I've been using a pair of dz ilda-to-adat and adat-to-ilda boxes and recording analog modular synth abstracts to my computer as multitrack audio files and it works perfectly when played back as multitrack audio through a dz converter box into the lasers ilda input. i'm wondering if theres a way to convert my audio recordings to ilda format so i can just have them on an sd card and play via etherdream or just launch in quickshow or lsx and then i could keep the dz boxes in the studio and when playing a show its a real minimal setup of laptop and laser and no other converters etc, any suggestions?

Use laserboy to do it or if you have BEYOND or LD2000 use LC-adat

are they both equally great results? or do they each have their own unique quirks?

does LSX do this? i can't afford beyond but i do have LSX, haven't started learning it though.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by maxcady View Post
    are they both equally great results? or do they each have their own unique quirks?

does LSX do this? i can't afford beyond but i do have LSX, haven't started learning it though.
    yes. LSX pro has a wave to ilda convertor built in. it can even export the converted ILDA frames.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I PAID for the development of the LSX wave converter. I wish he would have talked to me about releasing it.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

LaserBoy can do the job.

It can convert 6 or 8 channel waves with color information or just stereo waves for just X and Y scanner stuff.

You do need to fiddle a bit with the waves in Audacity to get really usable results though.

Your waves will probably be recorded at 48KHz sample rate. So unless you do something about that, you'll end up with a whole lot of points in general (48K points per second).

You can open your wave or wave set in Audacity and zoom way in so you can see the individual samples.

You can select the first 5 sample of the color channels and delete them. Now your wave set will be time aligned (scanner signals will match the color signals in time).

While you have the wave open in Audacity, you might also want to normalize all the color signals to 0dB (zero) so they go full on to the rail.

Then you can re-sample the whole wave set to something like 20000 or 16000 (20KHz or 16KHz aka points per second).

Export the whole thing as a single wave file.

Put it in the wave/unformatted folder inside of the LaserBoy folder.

Open LaserBoy and look in the [Tab] menu at option i unframed waves samples per frame.

Set this to whatever you want to be the number of points in each frame of your resulting wave import.

Back to the main menu... menu b wave file utilities... 3 set system wave sample offsets.

This is where you can set the wave sample offsets (the timing between the scanner and the color signals) to all zeros.

Do this if you trimmed off the first five samples of the color channels as described in the steps above.

BTW these numbers apply to both wave imports and exports!

Back to main menu... i to import... 3 wav... (unformatted wave) 4 replace current frame set... type the name of the wave file [Enter].

That should open the wave as a 24 bit color frame set.

If you want to you can do a best color match to the standard 63 color palette to save it as ILDA format 1 or you can leave it as-is and save it as ILDA format 4.

To make sure LB saves it as an ILDA format 4, go back to main... x system switch settings... make sure option e save ild format 4 or 5 is set to on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

James.

Last edited by james; 09-14-2016 at 12:46.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.