Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im a officialy a LASER KNOB

Default im a officialy a LASER KNOB

Well today I did something that I said that I would never NEVER do …

YES I bought a laser Pointer ….. so im officially a LASER knob

Why … I hear you cry …. Well this week I was looking through the market stalls in Bangkok and had seen plenty of red pointers for sale for a couple of $ and thought I would ask the girl on the stall if she had any green lasers, “yes you likey my green laser”
    After she installed the battery’s I witnessed one of the most pathetic lasers ever … the sticker claimed 5mW but im sure it was putting out less than 1 mW …. With really crap divergence … “only 1500 Baht she said” that’s about £22 or $40 …. “Miowcap” (No thanks in Thai ) I said …..

Anyway … today while walking around another market …. Same situation …. Saw plenty of red pointers … I asked if they had any green laser … again girl said … you likey my laser … again waited until batteries were installed ….. she handed it to me and I hit the button ….. JEEEZUZ EFFIN CHRIST…. The sticker claimed 5 mW the instruction book claimed 30 mW ….. but my guess its putting out around 50 to 60 mW
    Put my finger in front of the beam and you could feel the heat, And she told me the price was 900 Bht thats £13 or $25 ….. nearly snapped her arm off ….

Cant wait to get it home and put it on the power meter …. To find out the true power
    Considering this was in a factory sealed box and has not been tweeked or tampered with
    Im really impressed ….. only problem it’s a bit EFFIN Dangerous

So im off to join that other forum now and wave me pointer around in peoples faces J

I'm a knob too. I got a WL. Welcome to the ultra-geeky club!
    My guess is that they're over-currenting that diode 500% for a mttf of 2 weeks (hopefully not-)

Lightbulb

Watch out for the IR monster too... (that is clandestiny's "pointer")
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 06-26-2007 at 17:59.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yea, definatly measure it with some kind of ir filter also, if you can. The fact that it says 30 but appears to be 50 is a good sign, usually it's the other way around because they measured the IR with the green to get high mw on paper.

do you have any photo to show us,guy?

dont have anway to take a photo at the mo ... but

looked on ebay and its 100% identical to this one including the box

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-50mW-50-mW...QQcmdZViewItem

all the best .... KARL

AllThat....

LOVVVVVVE that Err... 'Smiley'

Jem

Karl
    That looks identical to a model known and sold by SPYMODEX , its known to have severe IR leakage problems .

Can anyone else concur ?

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Karl
    That looks identical to a model known and sold by SPYMODEX , its known to have severe IR leakage problems .

Can anyone else concur ?

PAUL
    Yeah, that model has no IR filter. You can glue one behind the endcap after the colminator if you want. Either way, if it's putting out 50mW+ @ 532 it shouldn't be anywhere near your eyes anyway. Of course you know that.... I'm just throwing out some safety precautions. You can never be too careful.
    Adam

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY
    BUT DUE TO LOOKING AT THE BEAM I AM NOW PARTIALY BLIND
    and have to type in very large letters to read what i am typing

Thanks guys for the info ... i will get an IR filter installed .... and then measure the output.... I guess that it should still be fairly high in the 532 area .... im here in bangkok for another week so it will have to wait until i get back to the UK ... i will then post the results