Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner tuning at Selem?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Arrow Scanner tuning at Selem?

Who would be interested in a scanner tuning seminar at SELEM?

Steve

Sign me up ! Here are a couple of pix that are hot off the camera. I had made mention of needing to tune the DT 40 units and seen posts that they were not to be adjusted. Proof in the pudding. They do the best at 20KPPS. I tried them @40 and they didn't like that much at all! This is 30KPPS at a distance of 30 feet.....scan angle is approx 10 deg opt. Can someone point in a good direction from here...My 473 unit is on it's way accross the water to be made whole again....so the 1st pic is with the blue mod line plugged into the green laser to illustrate the rest of the pattern. Please excuse the basement pix......had to check it out for myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2242.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Here is the primary image..........again with correct wiring and no 473nm........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2241.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

What the? That is aweful. What DAC are you using? At 30K it should look more like this for DT-40:

And like this for DT-40pro:

So, SR, does this mean that you will be at SELEM?!?!

I don't mean to offend with the aweful statement above, its just that the scanners can do much better. Unless the tuning is just that far off, I suspect a DAC issue. If its a tuning issue, we can get that fixed up at SELEM.

David
    Last edited by DZ; 06-26-2007 at 16:20.

Lightbulb

I was going to say the same thing. That does look pretty bad. I missed the tuning "seminar" at FLEM... I had to get the lasagna... I thought mine could use a lil tuning until I realized my scan angle is high, but they do well at 25K @ 30°...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thumbs up Galvo tuning at SELEM sounds like a *great* idea!

Steve, a "galvo tuning seminar" would be AWESOME! We'd be honored if you could attend SELEM and teach us some tricks.

Bill Benner came to our last meeting and offered to tune galvos too. Unfortunately, I didn't pay close enough attention, and I fogot some key steps. (I should have had the damn video camera running, but I forgot!) So yeah, if we can do something like that again I'll be sure to get some good vide of it (plus some notes for myself) and then everyone can benefit from it.

Unfortunately, as I've already posted in several other threads, it looks like PARI is out as a venue for SELEM. They need 3 thousand bucks in advance in order to host our little laser event. For that kind of money we could get a block of rooms at a hotel and get a conference room thrown in for free! So it's back to the drawing board I guess. I need to find us another venue, and quick!

I'm on it...

Adam

I don't think it is a DAC issue. I have the easylase DAC. It was doing well at overdriving the widemoves at 30KPPS. I thought all the good reports of these were the answer to my wanting crisp text. To my dismay they seem to be tuned for another app. I was hoping Jian would make a comment here. The Dac does fine and is in great working order. Well it seems I am going to tune on these. I have tuned the widemoves from a dead wrong setting. They are still working fine. These are close , so maybe being carefull will get what I was looking for from these.
    Last edited by MechEng3; 06-27-2007 at 02:31.

so im not the only have having dt40 tuning issues.

but i think my dac has something to do with it

DZurcher - can your dt40's play the test frame without any flicker at all???
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hey Meceng3,

My PR scanners are doing exactly the same as yours! Please check if the inner circle gets smaller if you increase the PPS. I have tunned my scanners to 30k with a hardware checking software, but with my laser show controller I get the same screwed up result as yours

Update the post should you find the cause,
    Thanks

Werner

andy_con,

Sure, my DT-40's can display just about anything without flicker. That doesn't mean that it will look like what its suppose to. To display the ILDA test pattern without flicker is not the point of displaying the ILDA test pattern. The point is to display it at 30K and tune your amps. At 30K there is plenty of flicker in the image. Without a DAC that you can specify the output to be 30K, then the ILDA test pattern is useless..

David