Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YET *another* venue change for SELEM 2007

Sorry 'bout the lousy post, I've got to keep myself off the internet after hours (toddy-time). oh well. Lets seee--how about a club house? Some apartments and condos have club houses they rent for 1-2 days for minimal fee for residents. Anybody live in (or got a friend who lives in) one of these?

Hey guys, whats the word on the venue? I'm wondering, Buffo, if knowing how much you have to work with would help in the decision on the venue. So, if its going to be on a weekend that I can attend, I'd like to pledge $150 for the event. Anyone care to match my offer?

David

Smile

Hi David!

That's a generous offer! At this point we're close enough that by the end of next week I need to have the venue confirmed. While a free venue would be nice, I think the auditorium in Newton will be pretty cool. I also think that the price for the auditorium is doable for our group. (Especially in light of your offer!)

With the current list of people that are talking about attending, we are looking at roughly $80 per person to rent the auditorium in Newton. (That's based on a flat fee of $500 for the venue for the weekend plus $200 in hourly fees <10 bucks an hour> for 12 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday.) Of course, if more folks sign up, the cost per person comes down.

I need to speak to Mike (MechEng3) this weekend - he had some info on possible venues in the area that would be free. But if those don't pan out by mid week next week, I was planning to go ahead and book the Newton Auditorium. (We already have it reserved for the 18th and 19th of August, BTW, so no one can take it away from us.) They're still checking on exactly how much 3 phase power is available. Looks like 208 volt 3 phase, but not sure how many amps per leg we can source.

Right now here is the list of people that want to attend. A "C" means they're confirmed for the 18th and 19th of August, a "W" means they want to come but aren't certain if they can make it yet. Past that I've just put down what sort of projector the person is considering bringing.

Astroguy ------- C --- RGB DPSS
    Buffo ----------- C --- RGB DPSS
    Dreambeamz --- C --- RGB DPSS, Single phase Argon?
    Dzurcher ------- W --- RGB DPSS + Lumina/Grating effects ?
    MechEng3 ------ C --- RGB DPSS
    Mixed Gas ------ C --- DPSS?, Single phase Argon, 3 Phase Kr/Argon
    Spec ----------- W --- ?
    Steve-O -------- C --- RYG DPSS
    Pangolin ------- W --- ?

Did I miss anyone? If so, let me know and I'll add your name to the list. Of course, everyone is free to bring guests if they want.

BTW, barring some unforseen tragedy (Hurricane, etc), the date is FIRM. So you can take August 18th and August 19th to the bank...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 06-30-2007 at 19:20.

Outstanding! I can't wait for SELEM, and seeing the list of stuff that will be there, no doubt it will be a blast! Glad to see Mixed Gas on the list, always wanted to meet THE SR. Anyway, I see you have me listed with a DPSS +?. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm building also... I think Allthat would be proud of my "ghettofabulous" special effects projector! Speaking of which, how come his name isn't on the list?? And Marconi?? You guys not going to be able to make it?

Here's a preview of my ghetto special effects bench, I had just enough parts on the shelf to throw something cheesy together!

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 123.JPG  

"Ghetto fabulous" looks waymorecool than the shape mine's in at the moment...
    Yes Adam I've had cocktails tonite but I'm behaving myself
    You got me down for RGB
    Really one is a small argon 488 and the diode laser is a RGY which will have probably no blanking and no galvos unless I can build something up rrreally quick.. but who-knows..
    maybe I'll glue some mirror chips on a cd .. hehe
    Anyway I'm glad to see it is a firm done-deal and we're gonna make it -- I'll chip in 100.

Cool

Hi Guys;

Glad to see a few of us are up late tonight! Steve-o, I edited my post above to reflect the RYG status of your rig. BTW, blanking isn't nearly as important as the galvos are. The argon rig we had at FLEM back in January didn't have blanking either, but it still looked great!

David: I see now where you were going with the "home-built" idea you had. I wasn't really sure exactly what you had in mind at first. I like the look of it though. Should be fun to play with. I edited my post again to reflect the effects bench you made.

I'll probably bring a few other doodads as well. I've got an old-school MWK lissajous box that I'll probably bring just for grins and giggles. I know that at FLEM we had lots of people that brought extra items just for fun.

And re: the cost... Yeah, I'm not worried. If we're close I can always kick in a bit more to get us over the top. I think we're on the way though. And who knows, maybe Mike managed to turn something up that is cheaper. (Tried calling him tonight but he's out...)

You know, when you stop and think about it, at FLEM we really only had three RGB projectors (and one of them ended up loosing the green fairly early in the evening, while the other one was switched off most of the time). Then we had the big argon in the back, and my monochrome green projector, and that was it. So this time 'round we've got a *lot* more lasers... Should be a sight to behold! (I'd love to have all the projectors being run "live" as everyone plays along in real-time to whatever song is playing on the sound system. I think that would make for some incredible video!)

Adam

Mine wont be music synced, but like U said- more lasers - be a sight to behold! I'm also bringing a small 30mW 488blue Argon (with homemade beam show) if you want to add that to the list, Adam

OK the poeple I have been trying to keep from finding and choking.......ahemm...clears throat... No one allows fog machines in fear of contaminating of the interior paints,A/C system. No 3-phase at all. And to make it even better the places I have contacted have lots of windows! Prices range from $1200/Day and up. Any takers? I just laugh and tip my hat to Adam for all of his hard work....that paid off. I have found quite a few viable places...some more obscure than others. I think this has been the hardest part of the whole laser thing that I have been up against. Maybe for next year we need to start planning now and a search for the best place that can be found to suit all involved. I am sorry that I didn't come through. I really didn't know what I was up against at the time of initial contact with the task. Now I have acquired a statement for openers that goes over into a simple yes or no from someone. Count me in for showing and contributing to the cause at hand. I do hope that Spec ,Bill B., Marconi and Max can make it.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

So Newton it is, then?

Smile

That's affirmative - It's Newton or bust. I'll start another thread in a day or two for folks to sign up.

I still want an answer re: 3 phase power, and also re: the windows that are clearly visible in the picture on the NCCPP website. (Scroll down to the second picture and you can see the windows to the right of the stage.) According to Reggie the auditorium doesn't have windows... I'm hoping that the picture on the website was taken before the renovation was completed. But if not, then we're going to need some window treatments to cover those windows!

As soon as I get a response from Reggie I'll start the new SELEM 2007 thread. I expect the cost will be right at $700. That's $500 for the rental fee for the weekend, plus $10 per hour for the time we're actually in the building. (I figured 12 hours Saturday and 8 hours Sunday, for a total of 20 hours or $200.) Reggie said we were welcome to show up Friday afternoon and start setting things up - at least until around 5 or 6 in the evening when everyone goes home. That should save us some time. (Note that we can always run later on Saturday and cut things a little shorter on Sunday if people want to get out early so they can get on the road...) The auditorium people are willing to be flexible...

Mike: Thanks for all the help. Too bad nothing panned out, but it really is hard to find a venue. I appreciate the effort you put in! As far as next year is concerned, I've actually been thinking about trying to set something up for Charleston for 2008. Like you said, early planning is the best idea. I think we'll also try to do something in Florida later in the fall or winter... (Assuming that Clandestiny can hook us up with that union meeting room again!) <please, oh please?>

Steve-o: lasers is lasers dude... Bring whatever you have and we'll have fun with it!

One other thing: Marconi and Maxine may not be able to attend. They've got a lot going on right now, and it's something like a 9 hour drive from their area to Newton... While it would be great if they could attend, the last time I spoke with Chuck he said didn't think they'd be able to make the trip. (Don't forget that his back is still giving him fits too. The last thing he needs is a long car ride right now.)

Bill Benner is still interested in attending, and Hayden Hale may also be able to attend. Details to follow soon re: those two gurus from Pangolin. (Bill needed to check his schedule to make sure he can attend...)

Steve Roberts is very interested in attending, and even volunteered to bring some larger ion lasers if we can get the proper power hookups! (Woot!) He was planning on bringing a Kr/Ar mixed gas whitelight (not sure exactly what make or model though) in addition to a Lexel 88 Argon. (Which is the same size laser we had at FLEM. If you saw any of the video of that event, it was the laser in the back of the room.) Should be awesome! (Hope we can get the power issue worked out; I *really* want to see these lasers!)

Dreambeamz has also volunteered to bring an argon laser, in addition to his 1.7 watt DPSS projector. Not sure yet which argon he's thinking of, but probably something similar to a Lexel 88. (Though I think he's got a Lexel 95 too... (BIG!) I need to call him and find out.)

When I put up the new thread I'll make a more detailed list of what folks are bringing and what sort of power requirements everyone needs.

Everyone should plan on bringing extension cords, etc. It might be a good idea to bring a small folding table too, though the venue may also have those. (Yet another thing I need to ask Reggie about...) Like I said - I'll put all this in a new thread as soon as I get the details ironed out.

Adam