Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YET *another* venue change for SELEM 2007

MAN!! -- This is sounding better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The UK chaps may not be having all the fun after all

Cool

Well, those UK chaps will certainly have their OWN fun, but by golly we're going to have one hell of a good time over here as well! (As long as I have anything to say about it anyway!)

Yeah, it should be a great time. FLEM sure was! (right, guys?)

Adam

Lightbulb

Yes it was, too bad I cannot join in on this one. I just got requisitioned to be the Best Man at a friend's wedding on Aug 5th... in Calgary. Anyone know where I can get some cheap plane tickets?

Uhhh ,, from orbitz or priceline from Bill Shatner or Lenoard Nimoy.. just kidding -sorry to hear that you cant make it Allthat. Which Calgary; Tex, Canada or ??

Lightbulb

Heh, I think I plan on going through Shatner... It is in Canada. Tickets I found so far are all aroun $500 a piece. I had hoped to pay that for two.

Smile update: SELEM venue working out nicely

Just a quick note:

I got an e-mail from Reggie at the Newton Connover Civic and Performance Place this afternoon. The windows you see in the picture on the website have been bricked over, and that entire wall covered in velvet to hide the work. This was done when the place was remodeled last year. So the auditorium will be *DARK*. (which is cool!)

Also, 3 phase power will be available. Looks like wye-connected 208, though I'm trying to find out exactly how many amps we can pull. (Would be nice to know if we can get two ion lasers running at the same time or not.)

The one hold up has to do with who is allowed to connect 3 phase power. Right now I'm hoping that they will allow us to do it ourselves, but they may require their own electrician to be present when we hook in to their power. Should have an answer in a day or so.

Everything else seems to be falling into place nicely. I'll put up a post formally annoucing the event as soon as I get the power issue ironed out.

Adam

AAhight! Sounds cool

Wow, You guys sure are working your balls off for this..
    I admire that tremendiously...Seems every time I log-on Buffo is still typing something. A tire-less effort...Applauds

Well I still dont know if I can make it yet, too early to tell .
    Im still hurting from this darned pinched nerve in my leg, altho the pain is
    not as bad as it was. I have yet to get an MRI done , The Doc doesnt
    feel I need one just yet..But it could happen if it doesnt go away soon.
    Its hard to walk any good distances, but sitting is no problem.
    Anyhow, We'll see how it goes..I sure would like to go seeing as I missed the
    last get-together due to the day job emergency.
    I really dont think Maxy will be able to get time off but you never know.
    Things could work out.

I gotta get more meds soon...
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Smile

Hi Chuck!

Yeah, well, the effort is going to pay off big-time when we all have a blast at SELEM. Given how much fun FLEM was, I decided that SELEM just *had* to happen this summer. (Especially since last summer ended up being a bust.)

Seriously though, thanks for the kudos. It's been a long road getting to this point.

Re: your Sciatica. I thought that sitting for long periods made it worse.?. If not, then you might want to seriously reconsider attending. There really isn't going to be a lot of walking involved. If we set everything up on the stage in the auditorium, we'll all be in an area roughly 30 ft by 50 ft, so everything will be pretty close. Later in the day we may decide to point the projectors out towards the audience, but there again, chances are good you'd either be sitting behind the control keyboard of a projector or sitting in one of the seats in the auditorium. That shouldn't be too bad...

Hell, bring a handful of good drugs, and if it starts bothering you, just take a couple percocet/vicoden and sit down and watch the show. (Who knows, with the right pain medicine the show might actually be more entertaining! ) If you get so spaced out that you can't drive back to your hotel, I'm sure you can get a ride from one of us! (Remember, this is a 2-day event. Saturday and Sunday.)

We'll have plenty of help available, so if you decide to bring a few toys we can help you unload and setup. (Maybe the prototype 800 mw 4-diode red laser you've been working on? <please, oh please!>)

You know that Steve Roberts is planning on attending, right? Bill Benner should be there too, and even Clandestiny said he'd stop in for the day. (Though this time I don't think he'll be bringing any of his expensive toys with him; they'll be set up at a week-long gig he's got going on in Nashville.)

David Zurcher is going to be there, and will be bringing his RGB DPSS projector plus an old-school effects bench he put together. Fred Blockland will be there with his RGB projector. George Mack will be there with his 1.7 watt monster RGB rig. MechEng3 is working furiously to get his RGB projector re-assembled in time for the event, as am I.

Spec will be there, though I don't know yet if he's planning to bring his setup or not. Steve-o has a RYG rig he's planning to bring, and we may have another visitor from Wisconsin , though I don't know yet if he can bring his projector or not. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other folks that have already confirmed that they'll be coming, but my point is that we'll easily have 2 to 3 times the number of projectors that we had at FLEM. It promises to be one hell of a good time...

So give it some serious thought dude... We'd love to have you there!

Adam

Yep. I have been giving it some serious thought
    I usually dont miss getting a chance to get out and meet people
    especially events like this ..it hits a nerve (pun-intended) with me.

Sounds like a great crew already with like minds so being there is a priority
    on my list.
    Of course, if get to go, I will bring some goodies (not-drugs, thats for me as I dont have enough to pass around) for peeps to look at or trade.
    Again, I admire your dedication... Great job man.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF