Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To The Forum.....

Default New To The Forum.....

Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to introduce myself because I'm going to be asking a $H!T load of questions in the beginning. I got my first He-Ne laser tube at 10 years old. When I powered that thing up I didn't have any clue what 1mW was so I put bricks on both ends! ( I had no idea which side was going to be the output.) Ever since then I have been hooked with anything to do with lasers. From there I purchased many different He-Ne tubes, heads and power supply’s. My first laser light show was some mirrors glued to some speaker coils; I actually figured that one out on my own! The next attempt was a pair of MFE open loop galvos I pulled from ECG machines out of the garbage. They were fun for many years. At the age of 14 I put together a ruby laser constructed from M60 tank rangefinder parts and a 50 cal ammo box. You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBZOZBzdLZ0

Since then I've owned and experimented with ALC 60X argon heads, pulsed and CW YAG lasers. (My latest project is a 150W CW arc lamp pumped YAG laser I'm going to frequency double.) I also have a few 532nm DPSS lasers. One of them I'm constructing from parts should output 350mW+ when it's done.

Now to present time..... Just the other day I received a set of galvos, drivers and power supply purchased on Ebay from Dave on this website…… The Laser Light Show bug has bit me again! It’s a decent 20KPPS set with a program board, and boy is it FUN! I have also constructed this guys http://24.202.226.162:81/ DAC kit and have been playing around with his software and ILDA files I have found on the internet.

Well, now I’m ready to go to the next step. Faster galvos, better drivers, better software, multi colors, ect. I can’t wait to start conversations with experts on this subject! It should be good times for all!
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 06-27-2007 at 14:09.

Cool

Hi Adam! I'm Adam!

Gee, from Wisconsin too? Are you sure you're not my evil twin? Just kidding. Lake Geneva eh? I seem to remember they had a Playboy Club there once upon a time. I'm originally from a bit further north of there. Started out in Plymouth, moved to Sheboygan, and then to Cleveland. (Which is half-way between Sheboygan and Manitowoc... Right on the lake.)

Welcome to PhotonLexicon! Sounds like you've been bitten by the laser bug at an early age. That's good - it means you're dedicated enough to stick with it all these years!

A ruby laser eh? I'm impressed. As a teenager that was always my goal. Of course, now that I'm older I realize how useless a ruby laser really is. (Well, unless you want to burn a hole in something.) But they were the stuff of my dreams when I was in high school.

Most of the folks here are into laser shows of one sort or another, so now that you're getting into the world of galvos, amps, and controllers you'll have plenty of people to bounce ideas off of.

So again, welcome to the forum! Hope you like it here...

Adam
    (That is, the *other* Adam...)

Lightbulb

Welcome... We're all a lil and but can sometimes provide a wealth of information. There are many and even a few I just hang around for the smileys...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Hey Adam No.1,
    Thanks for the welcome! Wisconsin is okay. I moved here for business and now it seems I'm stuck here for a while, I'm actually a Florida boy. The Playboy Club has turned into Grand Geneva. I have a membership there and go to the gym every day. The women there are still hot and give great massages but fully clothed and no happy endings. As for the ruby laser... Yeah, most of the fun was constructing it and getting it to lase, especially at 14. As you can see it doesn't have any real practical application however it is great for holography with animate objects because of the output. One day I'm going to give that a try too.

Hi allthatwhichis,
    Thanks for the welcome too! As for the personality's around forums,,,, I've seen it all. I have been doing the forum thing for almost 10 years now. I'm also a moderator on this site... http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php

I'm fairly sarcastic myself sometimes but I get along with everyone and don't take anything personally. It's all good!

Thanks Again!
    Adam

Question

What part of Florida are you from? I live near Ocala and work in Orlando...

Hi and welcome Adam!

Funny, I live near Lake Geneva too, but... the one in Switzerland
    (the lake with the famous water jet)

Anyway, I hope you'll like this great forum

Sebastien

Welcome aboard Adam, Im sure you will like this place of like minds

on a side note, glad you like the scanners
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Clearwater.....
    Another Photonic Phloridian! Who'd a thought the south was good for anything high tech...

Welcome to the forum!

David

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Hi and welcome Adam!

Funny, I live near Lake Geneva too, but... the one in Switzerland
    (the lake with the famous water jet)

Anyway, I hope you'll like this great forum

Sebastien
    Ah yes, The land of precision watch makers! Here is my Lake Geneva. You have cool looking buildings too.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Welcome aboard Adam, Im sure you will like this place of like minds

on a side note, glad you like the scanners
    They were a great deal for the price! Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by DZurcher View Post
    Another Photonic Phloridian! Who'd a thought the south was good for anything high tech...

Welcome to the forum!

David
    Yep, Em suthern boys have their book lernin too! Wees edumicated! Thanks for the welcome!
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 06-28-2007 at 17:28.