Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USHIO HL63283HD 638nm 1200mW

Here’s my take on it. Correct the beam and then expand it so that it has decent divergence in a square beam. Now spatial filter off the beam. So what did this do? Now because you had a higher power core you could afford to trim off more beam after more one axis expansion to shape the beam. What you should get is great divergence and output like you really wanted from the 700mw diodes. Start with 1200mw get 700mw in a low divergence gauss beam. That’s a winner chicken dinner (eevbloggers).

Looks like you need a ten x cyl set on the slow axis to match the fast axis. Need to know the near field beam size to see what is reasonable on the expansion. Working backwards. Looks like at 18” you have a 5mm square. So add a 2x to that and at 9” you have a 5mm square. That would yield a 22mm beam at 13’. So a 3x would yield 15mm at 13’. But now the working distance is just 3” for near field 5mm. So 2x is the smallest workable size. Add spatial for trim and you get a workable beam with near field 5mm around 5-6”. Tight but workable. The 13’ spot size would be around 10-15mm. Not great but fine for beams with a higher average power than the 700mw diodes. Check my mathbut I did it with simple ratios full angle. A ten x cyl sounds like a pain to setup. Most I’ve done is an 8x followed by 2x expansion for the reds. Not a bad result but the near field is pretty large even after spatial. No free lunch.

Yikes...Mr. K.....you always give such good and complete answers !!! Thank you. I appreciate your commitment !!!
    It looks like NO beam correction has been used...based on the pic and text reply.
    SO.....school's still out on this LD !!! Throw a three (3) pcs 6X Cylindrical lens set up on this...One (1) pc PCX....Two (2) pcs PCV.....which....if I am .... NFSATM...= 12X....and see what ya get !!!!! Beam Out
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 12-30-2017 at 16:01.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Ah, but for lumia...

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    Ah, but for lumia...

...Mike
    Lumia. The unheralded "ashtray" of the laser world. Kind of like pottery in middle school art classes in the 60's and 70's. "When all else fails, eh....make it into an ashtray." I can't tell you the number of modules I have laying around that are earmarked for someday being used for a "lumia" something or other. (But when it gets built - it's gonna be really cool!)
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Lumia. The unheralded "ashtray" of the laser world. Kind of like pottery in middle school art classes in the 60's and 70's. "When all else fails, eh....make it into an ashtray." I can't tell you the number of modules I have laying around that are earmarked for someday being used for a "lumia" something or other. (But when it gets built - it's gonna be really cool!)
    pack them all up box them and send them over to me. I promise I’ll use them for lumia

Ashtray ??? Ashtray ????? We have things planned for Lumia....that....are extraordinary !! You will see !!! The "Ashtray"....just may become a mainstay of Laser entertainment !!!So sez I !! Beam Out.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Hear hear.

Thanks, Bob, I needed that.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers