Thread: Laser Arcade Game

Default Laser Arcade Game

Hi guys!

Not sure if this is the right place in the forums, but I wanted to share my creation with you guys since this forum has helped me understand so much regarding lasers. Anyways, here's what it is:

Laser Gunner

I used Touchdesigner, which has native support for Jacob's Etherdream, which made programming the whole thing fairly straight forward. The UI has controls for geometry/color manipulation, game settings, as well as various controller setups.

User GUI --> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uvOUS4f.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	51024

If the concept looks familiar, it's because the game is modeled after the original arcade game Tail Gunner.

You can find more information, as well as the source code (and other laser creations of mine) at my Github repository.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

this.. this is super cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrous256 View Post
    Hi guys!

Not sure if this is the right place in the forums, but I wanted to share my creation with you guys since this forum has helped me understand so much regarding lasers. Anyways, here's what it is:

Laser Gunner

I used Touchdesigner, which has native support for Jacob's Etherdream, which made programming the whole thing fairly straight forward. The UI has controls for geometry/color manipulation, game settings, as well as various controller setups.

User GUI --> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uvOUS4f.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	51024

If the concept looks familiar, it's because the game is modeled after the original arcade game Tail Gunner.

You can find more information, as well as the source code (and other laser creations of mine) at my Github repository.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Woah, dude! Where did you come from?? This is fantastic! I am curious if this has soundcard DAC support because I doubt it supports Pangolin (yet). I am going to take a look at your git repo when I get a chance. BTW, Welcome to PL. This is one hell of an First Post!!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Woah, dude! Where did you come from?? This is fantastic! I am curious if this has soundcard DAC support because I doubt it supports Pangolin (yet). I am going to take a look at your git repo when I get a chance. BTW, Welcome to PL. This is one hell of an First Post!!
    Thanks guys! I rarely post on forums for some reason so I've been lurking PL for a few years now. I'm not as familiar with soundcard DACs but if windows recognizes the soundcard DAC as an audio device, then outputting to a soundcard DAC is pretty easy in Touchdesigner.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Several years ago, a member of this forum developed a Asteroids type game that uses the Soundcard DAC:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ight=asteroids

That is mighty impressive! His point optimization is so good! I can't believe there are so many points rendered without it blinking.

I did see this one:
    https://github.com/echelon/laser-asteroids

It's lacking the classic physics of the game though, which makes it not quite as fun to play. I already started on my own version of Asteroids which is coming along much faster than Laser Gunner (now that I am much more familiar with Touchdesigner and python).

Very cool! TouchDesigner looks interesting...

Touchdesigner is really really cool, but honestly using it for lasers can be a bit tricky (as I have figured out). It's geared much more towards things like wrapping textures around 3d objects, setting up scenes for pixel graphics, building user interfaces, etc... BUT it is really good at talking to a lot of different things like joysticks, xbox kinect cameras, audio ins/outs, midi, processing, artnet, osc, VR, DMX etc. so it has support for lots of different inputs making it really useful if you want to build something that's interactive.