Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FB3 / LA FREAK Evaluation

Can anyone point me to some more technical documentation?
    What do all those headers/connectors do, what are their pinnings?
    What kind of headers should be used, are they flat-cable type?
    Do they come with the package, or where do you buy these?

Here you go

manual, and dmx manual

Edit: Just reread your message, all the connectors are micromatch connectors. With the evaluation kit, you get all the cables with connectors pre-attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB3SE Evaluation Package.pdf  

FB3SE DMX Channel Assignment.pdf  

Last edited by dave; 07-07-2007 at 17:08.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Thanks, that's exactly the info I meant.

Hey, single ended outputs ! That's not really ILDA, is it?

Isn't that begging for ground loops, with ...

-a scanner-amp gnd
    -r,g&b gnds
    -a dmx gnd
    -a usb gnd
    -a power gnd
    ?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kudos. Just a few points.

First, I was a bit amused to see the fan . The FB3 only draws about 100mA when it is not being operated by USB. When operated by USB, it goes up to probably 300mA, with most of that current being drawn by the USB chip itself, since we are USB version 2.0. Anyway, I doubt a fan is needed... The USB chip is the only chip that generates heat on the whole thing...

Second, single ended outputs are absolutely allowed by the ILDA standard for signal sources. For signal receivers (i.e. the projector) differential is mandated (this will be clarified in an upcoming draft of the standard).

One thing everyone must remember about differential signals is... "the onus of removing noise from a differential signal is on the RECEIVER, not on the transmitter". It is the receiver which does all of the work... The transmitter itself may be differential or single ended. When the transmitter is single ended and the receiver is differential, the system is said to be "pseudo-differential". Many factory-automation and industrial systems operate as pseudo-differential.

With that having been said, the next rev of the FB3, which is currently in the oven, will have differential signal for X and Y, but this has more to do with drive voltage than it does with noise or ground loops. Also, the next rev will have support for both XD Picturecard (olympus standard) or Smartmedia memory.

And lastly, the FB3 was designed to be embedded into a projector were there would be essentially zero cable run between itself and the scanners and lasers. The FB3 allows you to make what might be termed an "intelligent projector", whereby if you want to operate it with DMX, you just run DMX to the projector. If you want to operate it with a computer, you just run USB right to the projector. Thus, the FB3 is helping to foster a new trend of "intelligent projectors"...

Best regards,

William Benner

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    With that having been said, the next rev of the FB3, which is currently in the oven, will have differential signal for X and Y, but this has more to do with drive voltage than it does with noise or ground loops. Also, the next rev will have support for both XD Picturecard (olympus standard) or Smartmedia memory.
    I assume the xd compatibility means increased data storage?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Smile

Hi Dave;

Added capacity is one benefit, but the switch to XD also means cheaper memory cards. The Compact Flash cards that the current FB3 uses are getting hard to find, thus the price goes up. They're essentially obsolete, having been surpased by SD and XD memory. (I think Bill Benner said he had to pay something like 35 bucks each for 128 meg compact flash memory cards, and that was buying in bulk!)

Hayden and I talked about this a couple months ago when he fixed a small problem on my QM-32 board. He showed me a box of compact flash memory cards that Pangolin had purchased from some vendor. They got the entire stock that was left, and the vendor told them he couldn't get anymore because they're obsolete! So it makes sense that they're switching to a new standard.

Adam

Well, right here (the netherlands, europe?) SD is most common, followed by CF and MMC.
    Xd is pretty obscure. Not to say obsolete.

It's the first time I hear that a company integrates XD in a product other than a mju: photocamera.

The lowest price for 1GB Xd is 20 euro.
    While 1Gb CF goes for 8 euro.
    CF is available upto 16GB, biggest Xd is 2GB.

This discussion is VERY interesting. I looked in the pangolin website and found the flashback 3 laser controller evaluation kit for 595$.

This eval. kit comes with all the software? livepro usb and la freak? because this is not mentioned in the website. It says only "download/cue utility software".

I just want to be sure that if I place an order from the pangolin website I will receive the (amazing!) kit you are talking about.

(sorry for my bad english and for the stupid question ^_^)

Is the FB3 eval kit the same as the La Freaky combo? I thought it was $500 for the La Freaky system.

The LA FREAK package comes with a modified version of the FB 3 controller. You don't get the DMX daughterboard, and you don't get a memory card. (The card reader is still there, you just have to buy your own memory card.)

Making those two modifications allowed them to sell it for just $500, vs the $595 that they charge for the full blown FB3 eval kit.

Oh, one more thing: You don't get Live Pro when you order the LA FREAK package *OR* the FB3 Eval kit. It costs an extra $695 to get a Live Pro license.

However, the LA Studio software suite that comes with the LA FREAK package includes Showrider Live *and* Live Quick, so you have two other live players to choose from. (Plus all the other modules that come with the LA Studio software.)

NOTE: The last time I spoke with Bill Benner, he was not advertizing the LA FREAK package on the website. You had to call Pangolin directly and order it from him. I don't think that has changed...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 02-01-2008 at 09:25. Reason: clarification on live pro...