Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fogscreen II: Electric Boogaloo!

Default Fogscreen II: Electric Boogaloo!

So, after much laurel resting, I have finally started moving forward with my new fogscreen. Most of the components are ready to go. I need to print up a few more bits here and there. For the most part, I just need to start knocking this together.

This new one will be superior to my old fogscreen in almost every respect:
    1. Everything will be internal; all this will require is mains power, a DMX cable, and a water hose. No more tanks, pipes, or ducts to deal with.
    2. Bigger is better (that's what she said); even though the curtain of fog will be the same dimensions as the old fogscreen (42" wide, .5" thick at the business end), the entire fogscreen will be larger, increasing the total laminar column of air for better stability of the 42" fog curtain. This one will be 60" wide and 16.5" deep vs the old one (42"W x 10.5"deep).
    3. No babysitting; This one will have an auto fill system so that I won't have to babysit the water level (ultrasonic foggers have an auto shutoff if the water level gets too low).
    4. Programmable; 100% DMX controlled.
    6. Real Honeycomb; No more straws, well, maybe a few for internal delivery of the fog! I am using aircraft grade aluminum honeycomb for the laminar filter which gives WAY better uniformity and uniformity is what laminar is all about!
    7. No more lugging iron; The new ultrasonic foggers are not rectified so, DC is supplied via MeanWell PSUs. These are so much lighter than the AC transformers used in my old fogscreen.

Because I am on a mobile connection right now, I am only going to upload the Sketchup pics. When I get home, I will get the real pics uploaded. For the Sketchup pics, the reason there are lots of partition in the parts is because of the build volume limitations of my 3D printer. A good majority of this thing is 3D printed.

If you don't know what you're looking at, don't worry. When I get the actutal pics uploaded, it'll be much easier to see what is going on. Enjoy and definitely more to come!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	51025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	725.4 KB 
ID:	51026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen02.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	798.1 KB 
ID:	51027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen03.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	449.9 KB 
ID:	51028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen04.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	758.0 KB 
ID:	51029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen05.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	680.6 KB 
ID:	51030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen06.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	51031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fogscreen07.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	51032
    Last edited by absolom7691; 10-19-2016 at 23:02.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Very interesting project, good job! I'm subscribing to the thread

I think you rather get this laser cut than 3d printed taking into account the time, cost (of filament) and rigidity and strength of 3d printed parts vs laser cut extruded plastic or metal sheets or plywood.
    Laser cutting isn't really that expensive in my personal experience to instead have something 3d printed for hours or days unless you have to cut thicker than 2mm.
    Not talking about the honeycomb of course.

Either way good job.

PS. Have you considered getting an aluminum tube and cutting it into pieces rather than using straws or expensive honeycombs?
    Last edited by Maltes; 10-20-2016 at 03:30.

This is looking like a great project! I've been thinking about building one into my indoor space for years now, but haven't mustered sufficient motivation (and $$$) as yet. I look forward to seeing your results on this latest build.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maltes View Post
    I think you rather get this laser cut than 3d printed taking into account the time, cost (of filament) and rigidity and strength of 3d printed parts vs laser cut extruded plastic or metal sheets or plywood.
    Laser cutting isn't really that expensive in my personal experience to instead have something 3d printed for hours or days unless you have to cut thicker than 2mm.
    Not talking about the honeycomb of course.

Either way good job.

PS. Have you considered getting an aluminum tube and cutting it into pieces rather than using straws or expensive honeycombs?
    This is a project that has been rolling around in my head for a few years and I have considered a lot of different ways to build it. The good thing with 3D printing is prototyping. I have several spools of $10 PLA filament from Fry's. It is cheap and works great for concept printing. The finished parts that I am printing are not load-bearing nor do they require much precision and also need very little to no assembly. A good portion of the other parts are aluminum or polycarbonate sheet.

As for the honeycomb, again, I wanted no fuss. I have done the assembly of individual cells to build the laminar filter on my old fogscreen. Not again! This was easy; expand the honeycomb and done! The first fogscreen I built, I went inexpensive because I had no idea if it would work... proof of concept. Now that I know it can be done, I don't mind spending the money on better and easier components. So far, things are going smoothly!

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    This is looking like a great project! I've been thinking about building one into my indoor space for years now, but haven't mustered sufficient motivation (and $$$) as yet. I look forward to seeing your results on this latest build.
    They definitely take some dedication. With all of the toys you have in your "show room", this would make a great addition, should you decide to bite the bullet!

Thanks for the kudos, guys. Here are a few more pics before I head off to bed. I will have more soon. This graveyard shift is killing me...

Name:	20160718_114245.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	51033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160718_114302.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	51034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161010_061456.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	51035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161013_212818.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	51036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161004_163247.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	51037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161004_163422.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	51038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161012_000155.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	51039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161019_060145.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	51040

Really interesting thread.....many thanks !
    Cheers

Man there are some smart people are on this forum. Looking good.

How thick is the honeycomb? As tall as a straw?

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    Man there are some smart people are on this forum. Looking good.

How thick is the honeycomb? As tall as a straw?
    Thanks! The honeycomb is 6" thick and each cell is 3/8". I was thinking of going taller that 6" but I just don't think it will be necessary.

Default Progress is slow due to work demands

I got the end-caps in place. Tested for water leaks as well as final checking of the water level switch. I also ran a bit of fog too, just for fun!

Name:	20161020_200734.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	51044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161020_160806.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	51045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161020_060500.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	51046

Good info. I'm subscribing to the thread.
    Last edited by acheter; 01-22-2018 at 11:48.