Thread: Neutron Holograms

Default Neutron Holograms

Ran across this seems pretty neat!

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/new...s-neutrons-too

Interesting ....however the big leap forward in holography was made when holographic film was developed...and I am not at all sure HOW they are expecting to develop neutron sensitive high density holographic film.
    Perhaps Mr. P or Steve have some ideas about this !

Cheers

The first holograms were recorded on regular high resolution Kodak photographic plates and film. It was found in the '70s that grain size affects quality in many ways, and since then the best holographic recording materials have been either grainless or have extremely small grain size.

This article unfortunately starts with this totally incorrect definition "flat images that change depending on the viewer’s perspective, giving the sense that they are three-dimensional objects". Holograms are recordings of interference patterns that may be generated by 3D objects. Anyway, in this case, the principles of holography are applied with neutron illumination and computer analysis of the resulting interference patterns to reconstruct the images presented in the videos.

A lot of years ago, probably late 60's early 70's, I went to an exhibition at the ICA in London about holography. There was everything from small everyday objects - which despite knowing they were just images, you couldn't help but try to touch, to life size gymnasts in mid flight. Afterwards I went to a local gallery and purchased for £40.00 (which was several weeks wages) a Tutankhamun hologram for my brother as a wedding present! While I was there, there was a short holographic movie clip of a steam train. I have never heard of holographic films since then - what happened?

Holography is still alive and well, although very much misrepresented these days as anything that is remotely 3D or looks like Princess Leia unfortunately gets called a hologram. There's a lot of the 'old timers' as well as many new innovators active on Facebook in the 'Holography' group and the 'Holography forum'

A bit of a stab in the dark but i'd guess the exhibition you went to in London was by 'Light Fantastic'?
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I went to that exhibition in London as well; it must have been mid 70's as I would have been about 10 at the time.