Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTB: Geometry Correction hardware

I'm not doing it but this looks stupid easy to trace and clone. Would be a nice community service. Is lsdi still viable or is this product still covered by patent or such? Just saying before some one does as I suggest that needs to be known. I thought they used special op amps not 084.

The circuit is pretty basic, not that much to it, all common parts.

When I worked there, I designed an updated version, UGC 3.0 with Surface Mount parts, smaller board size and better connectors (more common - easier to find) and a few other improvements. But they did not want to commit to making any more 2.0 or 3.0 boards.

I still see people looking for these from time to time, so there still seems to be some value. I could not get a clear response as to who actually owns the circuit design, there was some ambiguity about that back then.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfl68 View Post
    The circuit is pretty basic, not that much to it, all common parts.

When I worked there, I designed an updated version, UGC 3.0 with Surface Mount parts, smaller board size and better connectors (more common - easier to find) and a few other improvements. But they did not want to commit to making any more 2.0 or 3.0 boards.

I still see people looking for these from time to time, so there still seems to be some value. I could not get a clear response as to who actually owns the circuit design, there was some ambiguity about that back then.
    I made an inquiry to someone who might know. If I can get a clear go ahead do you have the design? I whip up a board or if you want your improved design. I do think a bunch of people would like them. I would. I still can do it faster by hand on pots than in software anyway. Would add gain for color lines too. Or. Maybe do it in software but make a pot board and use DMXLASER or midi to control the software ugc. I like that idea. Not sure anything is midi or DMXLASER ready to accept it.

i do not want to go into business just off the board and BOM to make it. From what I saw on those boards of yours it can be pretty compact. 2x2" or so plus supply pots and connectors. For sure would do regular pots or encoders not those mini jobs. If encoders could add presets too! Well then Might as well do a micro. I like analog for this. Differential in and out.

I think I still have all the information somewhere, I'll have to look when I have a chance. The board layout was last done in a proprietary software for a particular board manufacturer, so it might have to be redone. But I should have all the notes and such, so shouldn't be to bad to rebuild in Eagle.

If I had legally binding permission, I could probably do both a Through Hole design, and a SMT design and probably make them available through OSH Park, as this would give people the easiest access and good prices for boards and the option to download files for other board manufacturers as well. And I would make the remaining files available via something like Google Docs or Box.

I don't really want to put too much time into this, so I wouldn't really change too much. On the V3 prototype I did, I moved the smaller blue trim pots off the main board to a daughter board. Since the connector is fairly standard, I could add the dimensional information for the daughter board and pin out etc., and if someone wanted to do their own digital controlled potentiometers or whatever, they could build off of that themselves with another daughter board, or ribbon cable to rack front, etc.

Sounds great. I'll let you know what I find out. I'd bet maybe 20 would get made but that's 20 really happy people. I'd for sure use regular size 20 turn alps. Might use 5 turn on x/y gain. Not cheap!

I can do a panel in frontpanel designer. Then they just order one.

It would be nice to see a small run of these boards. I'd be interested in having period correct hardware geometric correction for the ion projectors I'm cobbling together.