Thread: Another why can't sellers pack things properly thread

Default Another why can't sellers pack things properly thread

I was lucky enough to locate an Omnichrome HeCd head on ebay that had paperwork with it indicating it was fitted with a brand new tube. The seller relisted it a few times and I bought it for a very nice price; I messaged the seller, asking them to put masses of shock absorbing packaging around it due the the highly fragile nature of the tube. The head arrived today, packed in a box 6" x 8" square, so I feared the worst; upon unpacking it, it was wrapped in a single turn of bubblewrap; the seller had put some foam rubber over the ends to protect the optics and had wedged some styrofoam into the box to prevent it moving; they hadn't even bothered marking the box 'fragile' or 'glass'
    Upon removing the sparse packaging, it was immediately obvious that the tube was broken as the helium reservoir was flapping about in the breeze.
    Why do sellers insist on skimping on the packaging? I offered to pay any extra costs that the necessary packaging would incur, but the seller didn't even bother responding.

Sorry to hear that.
    Some seller absolutely don't give a damn.
    Hopefully you get your $$ back.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

One time I received a laser head that was too long for the box, so the seller just let it hang outside the box and used a few wraps of small bubbles and tape to protect it. It was undamaged by this, probably because whoever handled it along the way accommodated.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

My usual way is tell sellers their payment will be faster, and larger, if they call me, then do as I ask.
    []
    I just got a 7,000$ (new price) optics assembly from Fleabay (80$, New Old Stock) tossed in a box with one inflated air pillow. Fortunately HP built their interferometers tough. He removed the HP stock shipping box and tossed it into a 12x12x12 box with one air pillow. Not good. The thing is a 2.5 inch cube. So far, no scratches on any of the cube faces, but I sweated until I could test it.
    []
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Well the seller was very apologetic, but believed they had packed it well enough; after sending photos of the damage, they agreed to refund me in full.
    Have to say I'm very happy with the seller's responsiveness and their willingness to do the right thing, even if their packaging wasn't up to scratch!
    Looks like I need to find another Omnichrome Series 56 HeCd at a good price now.