Thread: Slowing and Stopping Light

Default Slowing and Stopping Light

Danish physicist Lene Vestergaard Hau (Harvard University) succeeded in slowing a beam of light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK6HxdUQm5s

hmm, thats quite interesting. it will be cool to see what kind of things can come of it.
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

looks a bit confusing

... remembers me on old Sci-Fi novels about "slow glass", where people could see their long passed beloved from outside through the windows acting inside the house ...

Viktor

That's part of a larger Nova documentary on the race to get something as cold as possible. Absolute Zero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFRgosx4aQ

It's a neat episode and I still some times pick up on new stuff when I watch it
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

It's my understanding that "slow light" is an extreme example of the effect of the electrical field (associated with any light field), interacting with the electrical field surrounding the atoms in a medium. Unlike the true slowing of light that occurs in a gravity field along with the associated effects on space-time, "slow light" is more of a compressing phenomenon, like passing a fluid through a very fine filter.

I believe they explained that compression as the laser light entered that super condensate and when it exited that it stretched back out and resumed at it's original speed
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu