Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to drive the NUBM07E LD

That is the plan. I just purchased a used rotating optical mount (not the one shown- bigger, cheaper) and will drive the OD with a belt. Three great minds...

HAHAHA...Two (2) great minds...One (1) great mind wannabe ====> CDBEAM !!....however...never a shortage of wise ass comments...or ... insightful and stinging comments/cartoons.
    This place needs more humor !! AND...need some excitement !!! We need a new LD !!! We need some new beam combining methods...
    Who came up with these stink'in " Laws of Optics " anyway ????
    Hey Spec....you still out in the Ether ??? How'bout a new section....just for " Laser Lumia/Laser Abstract "....Clickamouse suggested this to me the other day.....SO...seemed like a fine time to request it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I predict you will see some novel things presented regarding Laser Lumia/Abstract in 2017 !!!!
    Anyway....I will descend from " Speakers Corner "....but..." I'll be Back "".
    CDBEAM
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 12-19-2016 at 16:17.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Bob, if you find you're still in need of a driver shoot me an email, I think I can help you out.

THANX Adam !!!...I will get with you !!!
    X-Laser = " Les Bouillens le Photoniques "
    I have some crazy ideas to vault "Laser Lumia" to a modulated and controlled venue....and I am full tilt on bringing these ideas to life. I am not sure the concept will work....but....the fine folks at Foxtone and Sweetwater Music Synthesizer's say they will !! We will see !!
    My theory is that if one links Lumia display...to music content....in the proper way.....then a synergy of entertainment will occur....yes...just refer to " Beam Axiom #2 " hahahaha !!!
    See... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...to-Laser-Lumia .... for the original rant on this Lumia project !!
    Bob

Last edited by CDBEAM; 12-19-2016 at 17:29. Reason: Added Solar Prominence lll link
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

I have seen a lumia display mixed with a laser show. The lumia was so diffuse and large that it mixed well with the much more intense laser graphics. Still, it is important not to loose "the power of black" that totally dark interludes, in a show, serve to spice up the brilliant lasers.

SOooo...We need a " Dark Lumia "...or....a White Lumia....set at low intensity. Alas....I believe our " Distortion Disc " also diffract the combined RGB...so...no White Lumia....YET !!!
    A while back Eric....YOU made a suggestion which may solve that conundrum !! I am working on that !...however unlikely a solution will be found by me.....there may be a way to do it....and there may be a work around to Prentice's rule !!
    Bob
    Wait...don't tell me...it has already been done...great...I would like to see what it looks like !!!
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 12-19-2016 at 18:01.

Use incandescent light for white

Well....As long as we get the nebulous, typical Laser Lumia pattern....sure....Incandescent......But...I believe the initial coherency of the beam as it propagates thru the Lumia disc sets up interference patterns....which in turn deliver the sharp, yet nebulous typical Laser Lumia we are used to producing !!.
    Look....I only know enough about this to be considered a hack...no more !! I am sure there are many members who have forgotten more than I know...SO.....please...let them speak up !!
    SOooo...Let's pump a Supercontinuum Laser beam thru the wheel....Yea...I am sure there's an article in " Laser Focus World " about this very topic !! HAHAHAHAHAHA....." IT COULD WORK "...so sez Dr. Frank N. Stein !!!
    Bob

Default lumia

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Well....As long as we get the nebulous, typical Laser Lumia pattern....sure....Incandescent......But...I believe the initial coherency of the beam as it propagates thru the Lumia disc sets up interference patterns....which in turn deliver the sharp, yet nebulous typical Laser Lumia we are used to producing !!.
    Look....I only know enough about this to be considered a hack...no more !! I am sure there are many members who have forgotten more than I know...SO.....please...let them speak up !!
    SOooo...Let's pump a Supercontinuum Laser beam thru the wheel....Yea...I am sure there's an article in " Laser Focus World " about this very topic !! HAHAHAHAHAHA....." IT COULD WORK "...so sez Dr. Frank N. Stein !!!
    Bob
    If you can focus the light you can make a beam. If you can do that you can make lumia. Look around you and you will see white lumia all the time. It's just not as sharp edged. Shine a flashlight through cellophane that is crinkled and you will see white lumia. It's not very exciting nor is it very luminous.
    If you used a continuum laser the luma would still spread the colors out. There will always be refraction. Same even with a flashlight just not as pronounced. You could use an old super 8 movie projector and an aperture. Sort of gobo it. Wonder if that would work. Lens /lumia near focus/ lens out. Sort of a messed up spatial filter. No need to focus as tight though.

What would be cool is a light gate so that only light above certain threshold came through. Would make excellent contrast enhancement glasses for laser shows. I've tried sunglasses but it dims the image too. This would be a fast gate that once it see light above a threshold comes full on and then clamps down but only lets the brighter light through not the whole field of view. Infinite contrast. Could not think of a way to do that. You can gate the whole view with lcd but not just the bright spots.

A neat light source is the new retro-fit HID lights for cars, not the even newer LED retrofits. These 12V modules come with a bulb, driver and a few bits and pieces. They are low cost, EXTREEMLY intense, painful to look toward intense, and robust.