Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PCAOM With DPSS Lasers....

Looks like Optical Leverage blanking is the way to go for my 532nm DPSS. It has no useful modulation (unless you count 45hz pulsing through TTL).

I hadn't thought to ask about PCAOMs and DPSS lasers.

Thanks Adam!

-Jonathan

Actually, one of the first solid state rigs I ever saw used a PCAOM for color modulation. That was back in 99 I think. All three lasers were on full, combined with dichro's and sent thru a PCAOM. The output was fantastic. The last projector I built used a 60X for blue only, a hene for red and a dpss for green. All three lasers were on full all the time and went thru an individual AOM (old Xerox AOM's) and it looked great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails raster.JPG  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

lasers above 2 watts, or lasers with long upper lifetime host materials use AOM. AOms are making a comeback and newer coated ones make 90-95% or better transfer. If your doing video with with DPSS its still a great way of doing it with a 7-20 mhz bandwidth

Coherents OPSL at the LDI show was AO modulated (red, green, blue , 1.5 watts of yellow)

I'm in the process of setting up a AO modulated vandate yag for a friend. Really gets rid of jelllybeaning and the diode life will be longer, and the power higher . Also I can easily achive
    .5% linearity.

My pcaom driver has settings for dpss blue, dpss green and red diode at 640 and 660

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    lasers above 2 watts, or lasers with long upper lifetime host materials use AOM. AOms are making a comeback and newer coated ones make 90-95% or better transfer. If your doing video with with DPSS its still a great way of doing it with a 7-20 mhz bandwidth
    Steve
    90-95%?! Now thats impressive...

WOW! PCAOM's are starting to look good now. Too bad their still so darn expensive. How hard would it be to DIY a PCAOM driver? Is the crystal a large part of the expense?
    Thanks!
    Adam

PS: Drivers look pretty simple to me....

Last edited by 300EVIL; 11-04-2008 at 13:53.

While we're on this topic, what would be a good PCAOM option for <3 watts 532nm DPSS?

At the high end of the price spectrum I've seen is a Neos 8 Channel PCAOM for $2000 used. I don't have much info on the lower end of the price spectrum. (I'm fully aware that a 15 watt, 8-channel PCAOM is probably more that I'll need until I get something like 4 watts of red and 3 watts of blue or something.)

-Jonathan

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Get a AOM instead of a PCAOM for single wavelengths

Stev e

Steve I think he may be looking into the future with the PCAOM direction... but as far as AOMs you can get them pretty cheap surplus... look online for ones pulled from old copiers

Hmm.. this is new information to me. Thanks Steve!

I was thinking about the future in regards to a PCAOM, but an AOM would probably be a good option for now since it would be significantly easier to implement than optical leverage blanking, given my space limitations.

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Get a AOM instead of a PCAOM for single wavelengths

Stev e
    Steve -

I sent a PM your way in reference to that very subject!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....