Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: PCAOM With DPSS Lasers....

Maybe I can check that YAG out when we meet up.... I'd love to see it.

LCDs won't work well with lasers. They only transmit about 70% of the light you pass through them, and they turn permanently twisty above room temperature (try a digital watch in hot water).

Plus, my little 250 mW laser managed to destroy an LCD display :-( Clearly projectors use LCDs designed to work at much higher temperatures than the ones you get in desktop monitors, but I think if I was going to do something like that, I'd pull the DMD from a DLP projector instead.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    . . . I'd pull the DMD from a DLP projector instead.

I hear laser TV is going to employ DLP technology. (RGB lasers into DLP etc)

-Jonathan

and if you cant get it to work you can always just eat the project
    -Josh

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    I hear laser TV is going to employ DLP technology. (RGB lasers into DLP etc)
    Chris Stuart (formerly of AVI, now working on Laser TV applications) said that Mitsubishi's first Laser TV will indeed use DLP technology. Basically they replace the spinning dichro and bright lamp with three solid state lasers, and everything else inside is the same.

He had one of the lasers with him on the ILDA cruise. It was making 3 watts of blue, and the lasing cavity was about the size of a child's building block. (Roughly 1 inch on a side) It was pretty amazing, really. The only problem was the high divergence of the beam. (Around 5 degress. Not mrad, but degrees!)

Long term, he's looking into building a lens right on the surface of the emitter to tame the beam. He thinks that he can get the beam down to around 1.5 mrad at around 4 mm square. But he's got to figure out how to grow a lens epitaxially on the diode face first...

Adam