Thread: Converting JPG to FBX

Default Converting JPG to FBX

Greetings, all;

I will be getting Beyond Ultimate shortly, and need to be able to get logos, etc., into the 3D part of Beyond, which only accepts FBX files. My goal is to import 2D and extrude to 3D.

Do any of you have any suggestions for JPG to FBX conversion, preferably on a Mac? What are other users using?

I realize this is a non-trivial bitmap-to-vector conversion process, and have found a few online vectorizers that will take files to SVG, etc., but no luck transferring to FBX.

Trying to avoid getting into more advanced 3D editors, like Blender and Autodesk.

Thanks...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

HI,

It sound like you don't want to use the the 3D editor at all for this convert. You just use the Image "Tracer" in BEYOND for standard flat pictures. It's really nice and quick function. In former times this part of the software, was called "traceIt".

/Poul.

Yes, the tracer functionality of beyond and QS is very good. No, you're not the first one that runs into this.
    There is no way (last time i looked) to import beyond frames, ilda or any other kind of path into the 3d editor.

Unfortunately beyond 3d does not have the 'pangolin' look and feel and lacks obvious integration features such as these.

Personally, I used inkscape to convert raster to vector, clean it up a little, export to svg, then convert svg to fbx in blender.
    Blender is much more capable converting 2d into 3d then beyond 3d does...
    The learning curve of blender is worth more of your time than beyond 3d.
    Besides that, bender has much more tutorial videos and forum support.
    Last edited by -bart-; 01-08-2017 at 22:01.

The newer version of BEYOND 3D included with 3.0 supports SVG import that allows you to get vector data in 3D.
    JPG does not include valuable data other then for textures as it's raster.

You'd want to make a plane and import the image on that to use as a reference to trace it in BEYOND 3D or your 3D software of preference.
    FBX import was chosen because it's the most widely supported format out there with the most features across other 3D software platforms.