Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple projector project on a budget

Default Simple projector project on a budget

Hi guys,
    A friend wants to build a single color projector to display numbers and letters on or as a scoreboard.
    So obviously we need a diode and driver, and cheap scanners (15k-20k would be more then enough) and drivers, and a power supply. I've got several TTL diodes and drivers to spare for him. Where can I get a cheap pair of scanners and drivers?

Also, getting and FB3+Quickshow would blow his budget. What other software can use use to do numbers and letters? Would Etherdream be the next best thing for DAC?

Oh, and he's no stranger to building electronic projects. After all, he took a Delorean and converted it to an EV.

thanks,
    -Hank

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

there's a sale on LSX+DAC bundles right now. LSX basic and a riya or etherdream dac would be more than sufficient for the task:

https://innolasers.com/shop/index.ph...oller=category
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks, I figured there was something like that. And I wasn't sure of LSX was overkill or there was something that just does basic words and numbers -- although, we could probably just write that ourselves.

So he wants to keep it on a real budget, and says he can build his own DAC with a pic microcontroller.

Assuming he can do that (I believe he can), is there any free (or almost free) software available to do basic letters and numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    A friend wants to build a single color projector to display numbers and letters on or as a scoreboard . . cheap scanners (15k-20k would be more then enough)
    Just to drag us back for a moment, how many numbers or letters are we talking about here Hank? A scoreboard of 20 characters total (especially if they are block characters) is no easy display . . lots of sharp angles and such. Are we under-spec'ing this item? A set of PT-40Pros will only set your guy back $250+50 shipping, roughly double the cost of a junky 20K set of scanners.

Also to confirm, is the requirement is to project in low light conditions? Otherwise "we need more power Cap'n!".

he took a Delorean and converted it to an EV.
    Wow! I'll donate everything he needs if he'll convert the RX-8 in my driveway into an EV!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Trust me, my friend is the king of DIY electronic projects.

He said his budget is $100.

I'm donating this DHOM 500mw 532nm dpss driver I got from LaserGuy216

He just needs scanners, drivers, PS, and software.

I sent him a link to this post for scanners:

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...)-50-euro-each

I am also wondering how many letters/numbers? I second the recommendation of PT40 scanners.

I would suggest taking a look at the Helios DAC. This DAC works with LSX from my understanding.
    http://pages.bitlasers.com/helios/

I will be surprised if he can stay in the 100 budget. I mean parts from digikey alone to build a DAC are like $50. Then a set of scanners? Plus Software?

Lasers are cool but they are a money pit. Don't get in the game if you can't afford it. He will be much happier with the output if he spends the money to get good 40K scanner, Helios DAC and LSX. That is the cheapest option that will look good in my book.
    Last edited by SaltyRobot; 01-27-2017 at 06:27. Reason: ID 10 T Error
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Thanks.

extra characters

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yeah... I thought the same thing when you first mentioned characters. That's one of the hardest things for scanners to display well. DT's or PT's would be my suggestion as well.
    PM Sent...

He's been doing some research and thinks he can do it cheaper with spinning mirrors instead of galvos.

Comments?