Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 kpps and up...

Cool 50 kpps and up...

We all know that CT 6800 and CT 6210 are capable of these speeds.
    Most output hardware supports these speeds.
    But.. I've seen a lot of laser displays, but none of them seemed to have these scan rates.

Who does actually use these speeds?
    Who did really tune his amps to these speeds?
    Who makes animations with frames containing more than 2000 points.
    Is there someone out there who has a '60kpps graphics' file folder ?

Lightbulb

Probably King Pango and... well... that's probably it...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Smile

Bill Benner makes some good points *against* tuning your galvos to these higher speeds in this thread. (Scroll down to around May 20th or so.)

Those higher scan speeds are helpful if you're trying to display raster images, but since most of the ILDA art is already set up with 30kpps in mind, you're better off displaying it at that speed.

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

the faster speeds got pushed when laser graphics where the rage. The fact is you really dont need it. Best example I can give for using it would be if you where using a 3d max type program with the pangolin plug in converter- for those files- You might experiment with pushing the limits - Most everything has been done in 30k however and to facilitate file swaps most people tend to stay there.
    BTW I can get 40k out of g120's using the old turbotrack amp designed by king pango-
    go big or go home

Smile

Damn... I thought the old 120's were originally only certified to 24Kpps. I know folks pushed them to 30Kpps with some sucess, but I never heard of anyone driving them all the way to 40Kpps!

Guess that turbotrack amp that Bill designed is pretty awesome... (Well, no one ever said he was a dummy.)

Adam

Default 40k ok, but angle ?

Hi,

G120 40k using turbo track -> at which optical angle ?
    G120 has max 40deg. optical AFAIK

pishtak

Cool

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Pishtak!

I don't know exactly how wide you can scan a set of G120's at 40Kpps, even if you do have the very nice Turbo-Track amps. But my guess would be around 6 degrees optical. For sure you'll never get the full 40 degrees at that speed. (For that matter, you'll never get anything close to 40 degrees at that speed no matter which galvos you have...)

Standard angle at 30Kpps is 8 degrees optical for most galvos, though recently I've found that you can push that up to around 15-20 degrees with certain newer models.

Adam

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Bill Benner makes some good points *against* tuning your galvos to these higher speeds in this thread. (Scroll down to around May 20th or so.)

Those higher scan speeds are helpful if you're trying to display raster images, but since most of the ILDA art is already set up with 30kpps in mind, you're better off displaying it at that speed.

Adam

Yes,I agree

raster images need higher speed

Default maximum for G120 ?

Does anybody know, what is maximum "safe" scanspeed xx PPS for G120
    at it's maximum possible scan angle ? (40deg.optical).
    (I mean how fast can be ilda test pattern scanned at max. angle of G120)

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by pishtak View Post
    Does anybody know, what is maximum "safe" scanspeed xx PPS for G120
    at it's maximum possible scan angle ? (40deg.optical).
    (I mean how fast can be ilda test pattern scanned at max. angle of G120)

Stefan
    Hi Stefan,

Unlike the moving magnet scanners (Cambridge 6800 and its derivatives), the G120 has no thermal limitation to worry about. Even at maximum current, the scanner will only be required to dissipate around 2 watts. And if your scanner amps put out a nice clean signal, you will never wear out the bearings.

On the TurboTrack, we used to get 30K or greater out of G120 scanners. The question is, how good are your scanner amps? If you have really good ones (like the TurboTrack), then you can get some decent speeds, rivaling 6800 and derivatives. If you don't then frankly you will be lucky to get 12K out of them (which was the industry standard speed for more than a decade)...

Best regards,

William Benner