Hi, I started building a simple XY plotter to do some laser engraving and limited cutting. While in a rush to get the parts I needed shipped, I ordered a NUBM44 as it seemed to he the highest power laser diode that was reasonablly available. (More WATTS equals More GOODER!)

Now that I’ve slowed down and started learning more, I understand that focus is just as, if not more important, than how much total work the diode can apply to a material.

What I was wondering, is there a better choice available? I don’t even have a driver for the NUBM44 yet, and I haven’t tried it, but I don’t want to spend time struggling to get it working when a better option may be available.
Looking at DTR’s site, other diodes that might be good include the:
· NUBM05 – 450nm 3.5W
· NUBM06 – 455nm 3.5W
· NUBM07e – 465nm 2.9W
· NUBM08 – 455nm 4.3W

I understand that the NUBM08 has about as bad of a divergence as the NUBM44 (per DTR’s description).

While a lower wattage, the 07e has a higher wavelength and I’ve read anecdotally that in that range, higher adsorbs more into materials and therefor cuts better. But I can’t find a lot on that.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above diodes for engraving and cutting (card stock, balsa, wood veneer)? Thanks for any help or advice.