Thread: Newbie to Lasers - ISO of advice for CNC Laser Attachement

Default Newbie to Lasers - ISO of advice for CNC Laser Attachement

I recently acquired a Shapeoko 3 XL and a friend of mine approached me about doing a project that would require wood burning engraving. I've read about a couple different types of lasers that work, but I'd also like to have an understanding of the approach. Most have said 800mw is the minimum for burning, but the nm range differs greatly. So I understand the watts is relative to the power/intensity of the laser, but I don't understand what part the nm part plays and I love to know.

Second, does anyone have any recommendations of places to purchase in the US that I could purchase a unit for $100-$125?

Thanks for your help

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it's less a measure of wavelength are more about energy density (focused spot size and power)

one of these would have no problems marking wood:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf...12x-405-diodes

Quote Originally Posted by james211 View Post
    I recently acquired a Shapeoko 3 XL and a friend of mine approached me about doing a project that would require wood burning engraving. I've read about a couple different types of lasers that work, but I'd also like to have an understanding of the approach. Most have said 800mw is the minimum for burning, but the nm range differs greatly. So I understand the watts is relative to the power/intensity of the laser, but I don't understand what part the nm part plays and I love to know.

Second, does anyone have any recommendations of places to purchase in the US that I could purchase a unit for $100-$125?

Thanks for your help
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I appreciate the response, the only thing I need TTL for it to work with my CNC.

I appreciate the response, the only thing I need TTL for it to work with my CNC.

the laser universe is full of cheap TTL drivers. i'm sure someone will chime in about a good one.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ok, back to my lack of knowledge, so the driver is TTL, not the diode? And yes, it would be great if someone could chime in.

Ok, back to my lack of knowledge, so the driver is TTL, not the diode? And yes, it would be great if someone could chime in.
    yes.. the driver (either analogue or ttl) is what powers the laser diode. laser diodes require a constant current source. if you hook them up to power without using a driver, they will happily destroy themselves.