Thread: CampLEM Mark I - May 11th-14th 2017 - Northern California

Laser Warning CampLEM Mark I - May 11th-14th 2017 - Northern California

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampLEM Logo.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	51705

Hey everyone,

I've been talking about doing this for a number of years now so I figure it's time it happened. This will basically be a camping trip with lasers--and a few amenities one might not typically have while camping, like a shower, running water, and electricity. There is a 6KW Honda generator onsite, which should be enough power for most solid-state lasers, etc.

There is a Shasta-Trinity National Forest campground adjacent to the general store at the front of the property that has a number of no-fee camping sites. We could use this and the front section of the private property as our main area. In addition to this, there are numerous locations around Deerlick Springs that are well-suited for camping. One in particular is the "Up the Creek area" in the middle section. If it continues to stay dry out here and the stream subsides a bit more, we could easily use Up the Creek for the main laser meeting spot.

Deerlick Springs Resort (Owned by PL member Picasso)
    Shasta - Trinity National Forest

To get there, use Google Maps and navigate to "Deer Lick Springs". Make sure to write down the directions from Hwy 36, in case you have issues with your GPS/phone.

Date:
    May 11th at 12:00pm
    until
    May 14th at 6:00 PM

Cost: FREE
    (Donations for gas/propane are optional.)
    Simply RSVP to me via private message and you'll be added to the attendee list.

Make sure to bring:
    Warm clothes
    Make sure you're prepared in case it gets down to the 40s at night. Should be pretty nice spring weather, otherwise.
    Food
    I figured I'd make dinner one night, at least. If anybody has any ideas or would like to plan a meal, let me know.
    Camping stuff
    Gloves, boots, and proper forest gear, for gathering firewood, hiking around, etc.
    Shelter
    This is a camping trip, with lasers. The easy option is to bring a tent or other camping shelter and set up wherever. There are also buildings we can use for various things--and you can set up a cot and sleep in them, if you'd like. If we use the front area, there's a general store building, and if we use the "Up the Creek" area, there is a cabin with a living room, kitchen, bathroom, and front porch area. Both areas have restrooms and will have a heated shower nearby.

Nearby amenities:
    None. We'll be in the middle of nowhere, although there is a general store off 36 in Platina, CA. Alternatively, consider grabbing remaining supplies, on the way, in Redding or Red Bluff, which are the two closest cities. There is plenty of water and firewood onsite.

Here are some photos of the property (more soon):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture-uh=6566cc9d9bbfca1eaeab53f3b6470d4-ps=b683c6866149ffc3431f4ad7b8e7f5d4--Deer-Lick-Spring.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	51701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160921_120124.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	51702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160918_133615.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	51704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google Earth Screenshot.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	629.9 KB 
ID:	51703

Items of interest:
    - Laser Juice laser synth demo by scnlns
    - *if you'd like to demo something or have any suggestions, PM me*

Attendees
    Boom
    discothefunkyhippo +1
    j4cbo
    Junktronix
    Laserman121
    Picasso
    platinum
    rgb-gas
    scnlns
    Sugeek

(still working out logistics)
    300EVIL

Safety note:
    All attendees/guests will be required to sign a general safety waiver, which is standard practice at laser meetings. There will be multiple laser safety officers in attendance, but I think it's good practice to clarify that everyone is responsible for their own safety. Copies will be available onsite, if requested. Also, if anyone is under 18, they will need to have a parent or guardian sign their waiver as well, to be admitted into the event.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CampLEM Logo web.jpg  

Last edited by Admin; 02-15-2021 at 21:08.

Sweet! I'm in! ...unless something unavoidable keeps me from making it out there!

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    Sweet! I'm in! ...unless something unavoidable keeps me from making it out there!
    Awesome!

I will be requesting time off shortly... I suppose it is time to finish my yurt.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    I will be requesting time off shortly... I suppose it is time to finish my yurt.
    That would be pretty rad. Is it a hexayurt or one of the round ones?

Right now quite rectangular and in many pieces. In time it will be round, hopefully full of lumia and a planetarium projector (from Arizona?) if we are lucky.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Wish I could make it.. nwlem kinda financially killed me

Penciled in my schedule. PM coming.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Fenny View Post
    Wish I could make it.. nwlem kinda financially killed me
    Maybe things will change and you'll be able to make it. Keep the hope alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    Penciled in my schedule. PM coming.
    Good to hear!

I am in! Who's got a geodesic dome?

-Sal