Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wtb WL dongle

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    But my point stands. The software developing around it is also compatible with other DACs that I'd rather own over the LaserDock for that price.
    I've used my LaserDock on a job, using Maxwell and their own software that night, but I still see the LaserDock as a bit 'toytown' compared to other offerings. Personally I would think hard about spending $299 on a dongle over one of the others.
    So because you used LaserDock at some gig you are qualified to know how much it costs to sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    So because you used LaserDock at some gig you are qualified to know how much it costs to sell it?
    Not at all, it was a comment about why they may not have success with sales at that price point, and the reason why.

You've made 2 statements so far that indicate you claim to have all the answers, and yet you've provided nothing of substance to counter any of the other speculations on this thread.

If its not:
    1. Greedy
    2. Hardware Costs
    3. Software dev costs (their own beta suite is not really targeted at serious users is it)

Then what is it? What they think the market will bear? Does the market consider LaserDock a viable alternative to the other offerings?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

So...I got one of these LaserDock dongles (at $99) to play with my Chinese LK-PD2...Just was playing with the latest software update...it has a Balloon Popper Function. I was never much of a popper...but, what the heck? I taped an inflated balloon to the wall...started the function...used touchpad to center crosshairs on balloon...and hit the FIRE button! Made a space gun noise as the beams focused and the balloon shattered! Scared the dog! After a couple more balloons...he got up and left the room...not amused...I was tickled! More experimentation ongoing...

These work with maxwell? Cool! What other software does it work with? According to tracking.. this unit should arrive today

Quote Originally Posted by 10Fenny View Post
    These work with maxwell? Cool! What other software does it work with? According to tracking.. this unit should arrive today
    Compatible software should be listed on the LaserDock site.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Not at all, it was a comment about why they may not have success with sales at that price point, and the reason why.

You've made 2 statements so far that indicate you claim to have all the answers, and yet you've provided nothing of substance to counter any of the other speculations on this thread.

If its not:
    1. Greedy
    2. Hardware Costs
    3. Software dev costs (their own beta suite is not really targeted at serious users is it)

Then what is it? What they think the market will bear? Does the market consider LaserDock a viable alternative to the other offerings?
    I am being purposely evasive for reasons I don't need to get into. I never claimed to have all the answers. I only claim to have some insight that you don't. I will leave it at that.

Wow I hadn't seen that they went and upped their prices, that is absurd. I thought that the $100/$400 for dongle/projector price was high when I bought mine. Now that it is $300/$750 I don't know who in their right mind would pay that, you could buy an etherdream or other 'real' dac and a much nicer projector for that.

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    Wow I hadn't seen that they went and upped their prices, that is absurd. I thought that the $100/$400 for dongle/projector price was high when I bought mine. Now that it is $300/$750 I don't know who in their right mind would pay that, you could buy an etherdream or other 'real' dac and a much nicer projector for that.
    That is an unfortunate reality of this niche market. If you make something cheap, it will be junk, you won't be able to sell it due to FDA, and no one will want it. If you make something good, it won't be cheap, so no one will want it. So, we have to cater to those who need it and those who are too stupid to know they DON'T need it. Joking of course about the "stupid" part.