Thread: Not a laser, but lots of cool photons...

Default Not a laser, but lots of cool photons...

I want one!

See artist's page here: https://www.devinmontes.com/pendulus

I wonder if Swami or SaltyRobot could replicate the physics of a double pendulum in LSX... hmmmm... think of the possibilities

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i love this project.. but i'm just not inspired by the patterns it generates. i think... (makes the noise of a lightbulb tuning on).. maybe.. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    I want one!

See artist's page here: https://www.devinmontes.com/pendulus

I wonder if Swami or SaltyRobot could replicate the physics of a double pendulum in LSX... hmmmm... think of the possibilities
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

It could be the never-ending-laser-show.

I love the patterns it creates, but I'm thinking it could use some more colors.

Are there any phosphors that glow different colors based on different excitation lines. Like 405 gives the green and 445 gives a red or such?

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Are there any phosphors that glow different colors based on different excitation lines. Like 405 gives the green and 445 gives a red or such?
    Well, there are materials that glow in blue, orange, white, green and yellow that have long persistence. Take a look at the wikipedia phosphor type table. It doesn't list what is the key excitement method though, but practically speaking, I doubt you would want to combine stuff like an electron gun out in the open next to a UV laser so that you could excite different materials to produce separate colors. That said, this page

I have considered painting a wall with a tight grid or bands of various colors of GITD paint and using 405 to excite them for a multi-colored GITD painting - essentially reproducing the approach used for color CRT-based TV sets. I haven't gotten that ambitious yet, though. In addition, I'm concerned that the pixelation and shorter lived colors will result in a less than impressive result. (e.g. the red glow in the dark paint glows at 10% of the brightness of the yellow-green stuff).

In the end, would this be the right tool for the job or would video technology be easier, better, and cheaper? It's like trying to do graphics with a moving scan head. Its just silly to do that to draw simple figures as opposed to CGI rendering and a video projector, right?!? <cough cough>

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"