Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys! Check out my tiny one!

This looks awesome for the size. Hats off!! Nice job

Yeah, Cat! I've got a WL and a Helios DAC (both USB powered) sitting here on my desk and the WL is just slightly smaller.

Wouldn't it be cool if the WL visualizer app or Maxwell worked on iOS or Android including some way to hook up USB to the dongle? A whole laser show in a purse or small bag! I suppose you can get a tiny PC in a purse as well, but running shows off your phone on top of a mountain that you just scaled with gear, in the depths of a cave after a day of spelunking, or some other super remote location that you just hiked to would be good fun!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

DZ's wave USB will allow you to play shows from your phone and would fit into a handbag.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Yeah, Cat! I've got a WL and a Helios DAC (both USB powered) sitting here on my desk and the WL is just slightly smaller.

Wouldn't it be cool if the WL visualizer app or Maxwell worked on iOS or Android including some way to hook up USB to the dongle? A whole laser show in a purse or small bag! I suppose you can get a tiny PC in a purse as well, but running shows off your phone on top of a mountain that you just scaled with gear, in the depths of a cave after a day of spelunking, or some other super remote location that you just hiked to would be good fun!

-David
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Yeah, but that's not small and requires a 9v source somewhere in the ballpark of 2amps. A direct connection between phone and DAC would be much more portable for Amazonian rain forest laser shows.

David

Yeah, but that's not small and requires a 9v source somewhere in the ballpark of 2amps. A direct connection between phone and DAC would be much more portable for Amazonian rain forest laser shows.

David
    Actually, the Wave-USB will run off a 9V battery. Under running conditions it's pulling around 400mA. The reason they ship with a 2A wall-wart is the initial inrush current when you turn it on, which is about 1.4A. A 4700uF cap in parallel with a 9V battery will overcome this inrush current.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Actually, the Wave-USB will run off a 9V battery. Under running conditions it's pulling around 400mA. The reason they ship with a 2A wall-wart is the initial inrush current when you turn it on, which is about 1.4A. A 4700uF cap in parallel with a 9V battery will overcome this inrush current.
    I stand corrected!

-David

NICE!
    Got any time to make me one?

Anyone who wants one is welcome to PM me, but fair warning, the cost of the parts alone is more expensive than many cheap Chinese lasers. The advantage of this build is its tiny footprint, portability and ability to run off of a Lion battery, which is probably a small number of users. I'll bring it to SELEM for those of you who are planning to attend.

-David

I'll bring it to SELEM for those of you who are planning to attend.

-David
    I think you just want to see us hold your tiny one in our hands.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Heheheheh! I will have my camera phone as ready as Anthony Weiner does!

David