Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Rgb...

Hi Guys,
    thanks for all the response, all seem to lead to overheating of the laser. What temp is too hot for a laser?

After running my laser for 10 min, I checked the temp and there was No heat build up from anything...

Still would like to know what a good temp is to keep at?

Cool RE: potential overheating...

Quote Originally Posted by werner1619 View Post
    After running my laser for 10 min, I checked the temp and there was No heat build up from anything...
    10 minutes isn't long enough to get a decent reading. You need to know that the lasers will not overheat even after 4-6 hours of continuous use, in a hot environment, with the case covers on.

As for what temperature to look for, I can't give you a number. (Well, not yet anyway, since I haven't hooked up my thermal controller yet. Eventually my projector will have laser head temperature readouts, but I haven't had the time to hook that up yet.) I can tell you that the laser heads should never get more than lukewarm. As for the driver boards, they should be warm, but not hot, to the touch. Same thing for the scanner amps and the galvos.

Bottom line is that cooler is almost always better. (To a point, that is; you don't want to refridgerate the inside of your projector!)

I'd test it for at least a couple hours, and if everything still seems OK I'd test it again with the cover in place. You'll be surprised at how much hotter things get once you close up the projector housing.

Adam

Hi Wes
    What a cool idea ... a double decker ! i love those amps underneath thats a really cool idea ..youve got me rethinking future laser cases !!

Love it !

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

is werner 1619's name wes too?

i am in the middle of my first build.
    it is nothing as ambitious as these rgbs but i am having fun and learning stuff.
    werners projector does look sweet.
    how hot do those amps get?

No just Werner, not wes

So far I am happy with everything, but I still need to complete the enclusure and get it painted. Not really looking forward to that...

The scan amps do not get hot at all,
    I have tried to upload a video of the 1W rgb up against my 2W greeny. but the server has some issue with the format..?
    wil try to post again

Werner

why dont you upload to the ftp server

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Smile

Hi Werner;

The software that runs PhotonLexicon has a pretty restrictive file size limit. I'm not positive, but I don't think it will handle much more than 3-4 megs. I do know that if it chokes on the file size limit it doesn't give you a specific error to let you know what the problem is. It just bombs. So you might need to upload your video to the FTP server as Cruch suggested, or you could upload it to google video...

Re: heat buildup. The new DT-40 Pro amps run a *lot* cooler than the old design. They shouldn't get hot. The thing you want to keep an eye on is the driver boards for the lasers, and the laser heads themselves. After several hours of operation, they can both get quite warm if you don't have adequate cooling.

Adam

but I still need to complete the enclusure and get it painted

Sand it and clean with acetone...then prime with Acid Primer aka self-etching primer. Then paint it black or any color you like.

ok,
    here the link to video of 1w rgb
    what do you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...53145876052013

Excellent work werner

So whats inside ? diodes and scanners etc ?

The red looks deep. I like that a lot

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk