Thread: Simmer supply for LASER flash lamp

Question Simmer supply for LASER flash lamp

Hi guys, I am currently working on developing Holmium-YAG LASER for medical purposes. I am using a xenon flash lamp for pumping,
    The specifications for the same are-

Outside diameter- 5mm

Inside Diameter--4mm

Arc length--- 115mm

Type-- xenon

Envelope material-- cerium doped qurtz

Pressure--- 700 Torr

Now in the prototype model, I am using simmer circuit made up with huge resistors and transformers and what not (I haven't designed the circuit)!! This simmer works perfectly fine but the resistors and transformers are heating up and overall it makes my machine very bulky.

Now I understand that the simmer circuit provides the high voltage pulse to flash lamp initially for arc to establish (600V in our case) and after that it maintains the constant current (365mA in our case) through the flash lamp.

What I understand is that the household tube light choke also does the same work. So can we use tube light choke as the simmer circuit for LASER? IF we can't then why? And if we can then what are the precautions that should be taken (I don't want to lose my flash lamp)?

The fluorescent ballast you're referring to will only work on AC, your flashlamp needs a DC supply. The ideal way to do it would be with a switching supply, but that's considerably more complex than a transformer / rectifier / resistor solution, although it's probably cheaper in parts.

Yash, don't post your question under different threads.

I only noticed the question was posted in 4 separate threads after I'd answered it; I usually don't respond to posters who multiple post like that

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Eksma and Analog Modules are sources of lamp supply parts.

Steve