Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best software for the money

Thats awesome Andy_con, how do you like it so far? Are you using the LA Studio software?

David

Way to go Andy !

Yep, I'm thinking of grabbing one of these myself
    Ive heard nothing but good about them so far..
    And at that price, Its very hard to beat
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

errr im just using the software it comes with.

great bit of kit shame the instructions are lacking.

my dt40 at working now, first time ive seen what they can do. i just need some more into on the fb3 kit
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

errr im just using the software it comes with.
    Ok, I think it is the LA Studio then. From what I've read, I think thats what you have. I'll have to see if I can get a liscence for that to run on the QM2K. I hear its pretty damn good software!

I wonder if thats because it is so new. In fact, I don't even see the hobby kit advertised on thier web site, though, there may be other reasons for that. All of thier other products have fantastic documentation, so if there isn't much now, I'm sure there will be.

my dt40 at working now, first time ive seen what they can do.
    Are they doing alot more than what they were with your previous DAC?

David

Does this kit have onboard frame processing or is timing controlled by the host computer? Thanks. G

I'm nearly certain that the board does its own processing. It can run stand-alone with a DMX interface and can store frame data on a removeable flash card. I'm not yet sure how it works with the LAStudio software though, if it does indeed utilize the host PC for processing or if it does its own. It'd be interesting to find out.

Cool

Bill Benner said that he wasn't going to advertise the LA Freak product on the Pangolin website until they finished cleaning up the interface and re-working the software a bit to make it easier to use. But for QM-2000 owners, the un-modified version of the LA Studio software has been available for free for quite a while now. You just need to call Pangolin for a license, and then you can download the software off their site and run it.

About 2 months ago, Bill agreed to start selling the un-modified version of the LA Studio software along with the Flashback 3 controller. (He had originally planned to wait for the modifications to be made before he started selling it.) Bill felt it was a good idea to pre-release it now because of all the interest in the hobbyist community. The price is $500, which includes the entire LA Studio software package plus the FB3 controller. Note that the FB3 will not come with a compact flash memory card or the DMX daugher card. (Asute readers will immediately notice that most, if not all of the retail price is tied up in the controller. They are basically giving the software away, and it's a *lot* of software.)

When Pangolin completes the modifications to the LA Studio software, it will be released as the LA Freak software. You will be able to download the updated version for free from the Pangolin website.

As far as timing goes, I'm not exactly sure. The FB3 can act as a stand alone player, so clearly it has on-board timing. But it can also be used as a frame buffer - controlled via a USB cable. However, I believe that even when it's operating as a frame buffer, it still uses it's own on-board timing to minimize sample jitter. So if you use a different computer it shouldn't affect the timing of the show. (Unlike a lot of parallel-port-based controllers out there!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I'm nearly certain that the board does its own processing. It can run stand-alone with a DMX interface and can store frame data on a removeable flash card. I'm not yet sure how it works with the LAStudio software though, if it does indeed utilize the host PC for processing or if it does its own. It'd be interesting to find out.
    I believe, when the FB3 is being used with software such as LivePRO or LA studio, the FB3 is only functioning as a frame buffer.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post

I found the instructions fine Andy.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

@ Clutch:

You have (only) a 20Kpss scanner? Than Pangolin is a little bit too good for your scanner! If you want (free) sotware, plaese visit www.hobby-laser.starpagina.nl. A list of more than 60 software links, 25 of them are free for download.

By the way, you have to have also a DAC controller, the part between the software and your scanners. You can make this yourself with 3 cheap chips (cost $10 in total) or buy a professional one (cost $400 till $600). I'm using the Easylase controllers of years now and had no problem at all. You can find the link also on this page.

But the most important question is: what do you wanna do with your scanner. Making beamshows, graphicshows, live sessions. Some software is better for beamshow on music, others better for live sessions.
    It's up to you!

Vince