Thread: Specification of ILDA Signal voltage ranges

Default Specification of ILDA Signal voltage ranges

Hi all,

please can can I ask about a seemingly simple matter, but one which has caused me to seek clarification?

it relates to the ILDA X & Y Galvo signals. The ILDA Standard Projector document clearly states a 10 volt differential Signal. Assuming this means around 0v, does it mean voltages of -5v to +5v, giving a total of 10v? Meaning if my scope was set to 5v/division, that I would see the Signal rising up to a single division & falling a same single division? This 5v up & 5v down giving a total of 10v.

the reason I ask is my new RGB Lasers LP2000 Projector had an ILDA interface, but the user manual & RGB themselves tell me the Galvo Signal range is + & - 2.5v!! Quote "Scanners are (I believe they are CT6210) +/-2.5v".

Im just glad I haven't yet connected a standard ILDA DAC to this standard ILDA interface.

i know it's late (here in the U.K.), but am I being dense!!?

look forward to hearing where I've gone wrong.

thanks,
    si bond.

+-5v to +-5v for galvo inputs
    +-2.5 to +-2.5 for laser modulation
    Most DACs implement the laser modulation as 0-5v though.

To expand on what Gary posted: +/- 5 volts on X+ and X- actually yields a single-ended voltage range of 0-20 volts. (X+ at +5V and X- at -5V yields +10V differential, while X+ at -5V and X- at +5V yields -10V differential. So your total swing is +10V differential to -10V differential, or 0-20 volts single-ended.)

That being said, it is extremely likely that the specs you posted for your projector were simply misprinted. Scanner amps and laser drivers are commodity items and are standardized these days, and they all have the same input specs. You should be just fine connecting any standard ILDA controller (DAC) to your projector.

Adam