Thread: That was fun.. Killed a 200mw Green in minutes (so it seems)

Default That was fun.. Killed a 200mw Green in minutes (so it seems)

Meh, ordered a 200mw 532nm module on ebay, no documentation. Had it running on a constant current psu, by following/guessing the tracks on the pcb and yeah, seemed to work, current seemed high I thought, 5v/300ma but checked the very limited documentation and it said 9-12v anyway. So I tried that, and I must have been using the wrong input, as its now its dead. I'm guessing I killed it. Very dim red glow, and I did think IR, but wont do anything 'fun'. So low efficiency LED it seems.

Got me wondering anyway... why are there so many wires on these little things? I've never really looked at them before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSC_0777-001.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	52060

Name:	1-DSC_0778.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	52061

Ever seen a driver like this? Would love info if so!

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	52063

Managed to find some kind of a diagram... In case anyone else ever for some reason needs this...

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post
    why are there so many wires on these little things? I've never really looked at them before.
    Two wires for the IR pump diode, two more for the peltier cooler (TEC), and the last two are probably for a thermistor to provide temperature feedback to the TEC driver. Oh yeah, plus the two wires for the fan...

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	52063
    Managed to find some kind of a diagram... In case anyone else ever for some reason needs this...
    Just to be clear, did you have your regulated power supply connected to the white molex connector labeled +/- 12V supply? And did you also have +5V (and ground) hooked up to the green TTL input connector?

If you had all that connected, it should work just fine. However, if you ran it like that for a long time, it could have overheated... (Did you have it sitting on a metal plate or some other heat sink?)

Adam

I cooked it, basically I found that diagram of pinout AFTER I had killed it. I have another on the way.