Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing of Galvo

Default Changing of Galvo

Hello All,
    I'm using a 2.5 watt RGB laser projector purchased from Europe. Now it seems one of the galvo mirror is not working as I get a straight horizontal output line. It is pretty expensive to send the projector back & forth to the manufacture.
    My concern how do I repair/replace the galvo?
    Can I change the galvo at my end or is it a MUST to send the projector back to the manufacture.
    Do I have to change both the galvo's
    How do I know what type of galvo to order (any physical mark on the part),
    Any precaution be taken to make these last longer (this is the 2nd time within a year that these galvos have gone off).
    All the help is appreciated
    Thanks Kama

Hi Kama,
    I'm not very experienced with fault finding scanner problems yet but I have no doubt you will find some excellent help here with this matter.

It could be a lost signal connection or as you suspect a failed scanner.

The scanners usually are tuned at the factory/supplier and the amp for each channel is tuned to that scanner.

After the more experienced guys join in on this thread and help you find the problem, shoud you need a replacement scanner and amp it is not too difficult to fit the new parts yourself.

Coming from Europe I'm sure there will be someone who is familiar with the projector you have.

To help them point you in the right direction can you give some more specific info.

-what make and model is it?
    - take some good photos of the scanners and the scanner amps and write down any part numbers you can see.
    - it's often hard to tell what make the scanners are as many look the same and have few marking. The scanner amps might give their identity away.

It is possible you are driving them beyond their capabilities. Are you doing complex graphics?

It may be worth upgrading the scanners if it's a recurring problem.

Good luck
    kit
    Last edited by kitatit; 11-06-2011 at 01:35. Reason: Typo

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Horizontal line? That sounds like the Y galvo. (I had a similar problem but mine was vertical and it was the X - supposedly the X works harder.) I got lucky in that it was a simple swap of the motor itself AND I was lucky enough to have someone with one that matched up without needing retuning.

When mine occurred, the story from everyone was doom and gloom but, I got very lucky. If you're able to acertain the manufacturer, you might get lucky as well but, it may be a complete replacement. Scanners and amps are tuned together so, you may be looking at replacing the set. Mine was either a case of overdriving or, it was just their time. I tend to think it was a little of both as I'd only had it 18 minutes before the motor died but, they were secondhand.

Before shipping back the whole projector, I'd definately suggest looking for a member here that's in your area and may be able to offer assistance.

It is a Medialas Mystiqe projector, does the galvo come in pair or I can order just the single damaged unit? & is it a must to get the AMP along?
    Thanks for all the help.
    Kama

catweasel comes to my foggy old mind! (and a name like Greg Malkov)

crossing my fingers for you, check here ::
    http://www.laserist.org/Laserist/Tech_focus_p4.html

good luck

Often scanners are fitted with a small fuse, check the fuse first as it could just be that. If the fuse is blown likely you are driving the scanners too fast than they can handle.

What acanners are they or more, what laser is it.

K
    I have swapped out galvos and kept same amps and its been fine but it depends to an extent on your usage and how much of a perfectionist you are and to a certain extent how expensive the galvos are in the first place.

if just using for beams you might not notice any mis-tuning
    if yousing for graphics or TEXT a lot mistunings would likely be more noticible and annoying
    if expensive galvos , its likely worth ivesting in correctly tuned amps

Please note when i have swapped without changing amps the complete set of amps and galvos were only $60 , so it was low risk if anything went wrong which in the end it didnt , so its really for you to decide as mistuned galvos/amps might cause another galvo to go pop

Paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Medialas liked to use Cambridge Technology and made some scan amps for them as well. I bet you just have a power supply to a scan amp bad or you have blown the fuse on the galvo it's self. You can unplug the working scanner and swap the wires with the not working one to check if its a amp problem or a galvo. Take some pictures for us.

word of warning. Do NOT try to plug or unplug a galvo with the power on. It will blow the fuse on the galvo. I know all to well. Trust me it goes badly..

Hello to All the Helpful Members!
    Touching base on my above post.. I changed the power supply & the 'deemed' dead galvo started working ... thus thinking & under impression that the fuse has blown off I changed the fuse but never the less the galvo does not work.... any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
    I should take some snaps & post them.. hope that will help in suggesting a specific remedy .

Thanks in advance to all!
    Kama