Thread: Modding a American DJ Galaxian 3D red green laser effect to green blue

Cool Modding a American DJ Galaxian 3D red green laser effect to green blue

Ok, I'm new here so be nice.... I have a amdj Galaxian 3D red green laser effect light that I want to mod to green and blue. With the research I have done I know that the green laser installed now is rated 30mW and the red is 80mW. The lasers are separate units that plug into driver board that controls the red green and rotation of each prism motors. Is this a easy swap? My concern is I want it to be safe not harmful and do not want to over current or voltage the blue diode to burn it up. Amdj has come out with a new laser in the same case that is green and blue and they claim the blue laser is 60mW (45nm) or they have a purple one that shows A rating of 200mW. Any ideas of what will easily replace this red laser module?
    Thanks in advance. Jay

As I said when we were talking previously about this project the concern I have with swapping the red diode out with a 405 and keeping the same driver is that a 405 diode has a forward voltage of about 6V. You also said that the power going to the driver is 5V so it sounds like you may have trouble there. I am not sure what it would entail to put a new driver in this unit that can run the 405 if it is even possible. Hopefully someone here has experience with this kind of unit can help better than I.

I think it was 5v but I could be wrong. I was planning on taking it apart again tomorrow and looking it over in a littler further depth. I'll post what I discover. Thanks again.

Hey Jay. Consider the Dichro will need replacing also.

Why not fill in your location in your profile? Have you been a member here previously?
    This space for rent.

Sorry I didn't fill out my entire profile. It was late last night when I joined. No I have never been a member before. I am a newbie in the realm of Lasers. This is my third laser effect and I'm ready to start modding.

Careful on the modding - or better yet, how it's used afterwards.

The lasers you can buy "off the shelf" from ADJ, Chauvet, etc. are intentionally kept at relatively low power levels.
    As soon as you exceed the rated output laser power, you not only void the manufacturer's warranties AND FDA ratings, but you have potentially exceeded the eye-safe operating limitations the gear was originally designed for.

Be EXTREMELY careful how you use the gear after any power "mods" - and keep in mind that especially with blue (405 / 445nm) lasers, the "apparent" brightness does NOT always give a good indication of potential eyesight dangers!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

That's my main concern. I want to keep it safe. That's why I want to keep with the power sizes comparable to what size amdj is using in there new blue lasers. I was hoping if it was a easy swap and that the power supply would power the blue laser and not cause issues. Might be easier to just sell the red green and buy the blue green but I'm not giving up yet.