Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me with a purchase???

Default Can anyone help me with a purchase???

Hi all

Can anyone help me?

As regulars on this Forum will be aware i've been trying to find a laser shutter for some time. I've found one on Ebay that i'd like to buy using the 'Buy it now' feature for $27.00.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NM-Laser-Produ...QQcmdZViewItem

The problem is that they want $135.00US to ship it to the UK!!, sort of makes it not really worthwhile taking the risk that it works. Would anyone be prepared to buy it for me and ship it to the UK charging me a 'reasonable' amount for postage and a bit of something for your effort?

Thanks

Jem

Hi Jem

I currently have fitted in my projector a shutter that i purchased from Wijnberg on eBay .... the last 1 he sold went for 1 euro so i dont think he has put any more on ebay since May .... but he has them on most of the time ... i bought 1 from him 3 years ago

it my guess that he still has some about

they are fast and responsive they are basicaly a 12v solinoid with a FS mirror ... that diverts the beams 90 deg to a power sensor for inline power measurment ..... but they make great shutters they have to be mounted on a bracket in the same orentation as shown on ebay

i would contact him and ask if he still has some ..... i have bought loads of stuff from him and he only charges about £4 from belgium delivery
    he does not take paypal ( i sent him euros in an envelope )

link for the last one he sold ... here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120114221188

all the best .... Karl
    Last edited by Banthai; 07-06-2007 at 03:36.

hi jem
    do you really need that one , it looks big and clunky .

have you had a look at the link in banthais post i have also bought from the belgium chap without issue , the shutters he sells are neat and small effective.

Hes defo worth emailing as i have seen him selling them few times , defo add him to your favourites list .

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Hi Jem

I use the good old fashioned 12v linear solenoids, just fabricate a suitable bracket to support it and power it with about 9v to prevent it from getting warm.

Something like dis:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical...sp?sku=4207415

HTH
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

Thanks for the replies guys. I've emailed the Ebay guy that Banthai suggested.

I saw that shutter on ebay and thought at $27 it wasn't that expensive to 'give it a go', unfortunately the postage was the killer.

I like the idea of the pull solenoid, I might order one from Farnells just to have a play, from what you say It sounds as though it should work fine.

I still wouldn't mind getting hold of the shutter on Ebay though as I can use it for an exposure shutter on my holography setup.

Looking forward to meeting you all at the UK meet on 12th August, I should have my projector pretty much finished by then

Cheers

Jem

Hi Jem

Just keep in mind that the NM laser shutter that you originally thought about has a modulation rate of 3 Khz and it needs a special driver to contol it .... the spec sheet stated the actuator impedence but not the control voltage etc .... and i found a MW shutter controller on Ebay and that was really pricey .... i dont think that it is the same for the one you want but it may give an idea to what is needed

link here
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NM-Laser-CX245...QQcmdZViewItem

all the best ... Karl

Got some rotary solenoids if they're any use. They are 24V though.

3Khz? I thought it said 3 Hz rep rate-- pardon me its past toddy-time...but---
    Anyways a safety shutter would be about the easiest thing in a projector to build i would think. The only thing I dont understand is what is the purose= if you got pwr fail the whole thing shuts down, unless pwr comes back on unexpectedly and theres where the prob is? or-- scanner failure- where there has to be a special sense ckt installed for this purpose? Please somebody shed some light (pun intended)(well really not) on this (my) mystery.. that is baffling..
    Oh and please dont go into the basics of "a shutter is to block the laser beam from audiences' eyes etc..
    Thanx
    Steve

Cool

Hi Steve-o;

The shutter is a separate wire on the ILDA connector. You can close it while you still have power on. Likewise, if the ILDA cable comes unplugged, the shutter closes. You can also wire it to the case interlock, the keyswitch, the all-scram button, or whatever else you want, though as you mentioned - a power failure will cause it to close regardless.

I've actually been toying around with the idea of TWO shutters. One controlled by the ILDA connector and a separate, latching shutter for safety reasons. The idea is that if the safety shutter trips, you have to press a spring-loaded, momentary-on switch to reset it.

Still in the design phase though. Haven't finalized the layout yet.

Adam

Steve .... Yes mate you are correct .... 3hz and not 3khz

sorry i mis-read the spec ....

all the best ... Karl