Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me with a purchase???

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post

Bit early for the pop
    Ahhh... but you see.... Nice weather (or at least a glimpse of sun) = getting ready for a BBQ = excuse for sampling the wine

Cheers

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Thanks You-all. It's clearer now, Is the interlock a microswitch for the cover being opened? I'll put in a shutter, a remote control e-stop and a hardwire e-stop, and I suppose a key-switch. I wont be running any 'conventional' Software/Dacs/Amps/Scanners yet. Money's tight and as far as I can figure its 550 for the DTs, 500 for the Pango hobby version (anyone have one of those yet?) and I blew out my reds so there is a monitary penalty for being stupid there.. heh.. live and learn..the hard way..thats how I seem to learn most of lifes lessons.
    Hi Steve-o

The cover microswitch is part of the overall interlock circuit. You can place microswithches , key switches, emergency off buttons or any other "condition " switch in the circuit and it will kill the laser and or drop the shutter , usually via a relay. As will pulling the connector out. The scanners are left running , so if the laser comes back on , it doesn't project a static beam.

From memory, its pin 17 on the ilda standard connector +5v . Can't remember the return pin

A good tip is to put a timer on the relay, so you don't get surprised when the interlock is closed. A bit like looking down a hose pipe when someone turns the water back on

Fluff
    Last edited by fluff; 07-07-2007 at 11:36.
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Ouch! Yeah a hosepipe of retinal burning photonic water---
    Thanks for the info Fluff

No problem.

You can also get an e-stop and key switch combined . Hit the button to stop and you need the key to reset it . I get them from RS components.

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Smile

Say Fluff - do you have a link to your source for the e-stop and keyswitch units you mentioned? I've been looking for an off-the-shelf combination like that vs building one from scratch w/ an ignition cylinder.

BTW - Lots of great information in this thread!

Steve-o: Re: cover microswitch / interlock. Over here, the CDRH only requires a "case intrusion interlock" if it is normal procedure for the operator to open the case to perform routine adjustments. Usually this means that the case has a quick-access panel, or else the tool you need to open the case is attached to the case.

If you have your projector box screwed shut, and you need a screwdriver to open it, and you never need to get inside the box during normal operation, and you have it labeled as "no user serviceable parts inside", then you don't need a case interlock. (Adjusting the optics would fall under "maintenance by qualified persons", and thus is exempt from the rule.)

Now, having said all that - I still think it's a good idea to have a microswitch on the case cover. The point is that it's not always required by the CDRH.

Also, I like the idea of an interlock shutter that needs to be manually reset following any failure condition (E-stop, case intrusion, ILDA cable unplugged, etc.) If I can get one of the E-stop units that Fluff mentioned above, I think I'll wire it in series with the rest of the interlocks.

Adam

Buffo

I have one in my workshop ! By a company called Moeller I think.

But you can get them here. http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/se...0&cacheID=ukie :O . Does this qualify as the longest url posted

You can only use one per laser . If you have two lasers you'll need a double position version.

RS are probably the most expensive component suppliers on earth, but they have a reputation for quality and stock holding. You may be able to get one a bit more local !

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    You can only use one per laser . If you have two lasers you'll need a double position version.
    Why? Because of the 6 amp current limit? I can get around that w/ a relay network if I have to. I just want an "all scram" button that *must* be reset with a key. So if I hit it, no one can lift the switch and start things back up while I'm out figuring out what happend. (I'll have the key for the switch in my pocket...)
    Does this qualify as the longest url posted
    If not, it should be! 4 full lines... Sheesh!
    RS are probably the most expensive component suppliers on earth, but they have a reputation for quality and stock holding. You may be able to get one a bit more local!
    Good point... I guess I can check with the likes of Digikey and such. But if I come up empty at least I've got a backup plan now! Thanks...

Adam

Adam

No, not a current limit. The interlock circuit uses next to nothing. We tried it, and it doesn't work ( or rather we couldn't get it to work !). What seems like random weird things happened. ie One would stop, the other would work, both would stop, then wouldn't reset. Its a long story, most of which I've forgotten , We tried series and parallel . No go .Not with our lasers, anyway. It may be a Neo quirk , as I didn't explore further cos we found a quick solution. I was trying to solve the issue via phone , with the on site tech, late at night, so that might have been part of the problem ! Mmmm. Electronics is not my area. Maybe someone else would know, I can only tell you what happened!

If your using two lasers I'd recommend you use a two way switch , one switch per laser, just to be safe. Its still one button, one key. Could save a problem later for a few dollars more!

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Hello Guys,

It’s been a very busy few months for me, so only get time to pop in occasionally. Interesting thread. I thought I would add a couple of facts to the discussion too...

The Shutter, Keyswitch, Emissions Indicator etc are not recommendations of HSG95 they are actually requirements of the BS/EN60825-1 Laser Product Safety Standard. This top level standard lists the minimum features that must be present on any laser product. The features that are required, vary depending upon Classification of Laser Product.

Why is BS/EN60825-1 important? Well, Laser Products are treated with special care in terms of the Low Voltage Directive(LVD). All Laser Products needs to be compliant to the LVD. This, in turn, means that they have to meet the requirements of the BS/EN60825-1 Laser Product standard.

So why is the LVD important? Before certain products can be properly certified with the "CE" mark they must meet the requirements of the LVD.

So if the LVD requires that Laser Products adhere to the BS/EN60825-1 standard, it is ultimately a requirement that the safety features listed the standard are necessary for a product to be properly CE certified. - Of course, there are many imports that just have a "CE" sticker slapped on the case by either the manufacturer or the importer.

Getting back the Shutter, it is a current requirement for the laser projector to have one fitted, so that it can lead to CE compliance. (Supplying a laser product to market, or putting one into professional use, in the UK, requires that it is CE compliant.)

It's a bit historical as the reasons why the Shutter is needed. It goes back to the days of old, when lasers were not modulated directly, and it was desirable to keep the laser current at full pelt, (e.g. before the output was needed etc).

HSG95, as has already been pointed out, is the “guidance document” on laser safety that has been issued by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) in the UK. It is often mistaken that the information offered in the document is “just guidance” and that there are no specific laser laws. The latter is correct. ..But it doesn’t mean that there are “no” Health and Safety laws that relate to using lasers in public venues. In fact there is a whole load of UK legislation that relates to using making sure a laser is installed and operated safely. These are the more generic H&S regulations; one of these being the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, which also protects members of the public in a venue.

The HSG95 guidance documentation on Laser Display Safety is the HSE “guiding” you what to do to be safe and not to be breaking the actual H&S legislation that exists.

The important thing, also, is “who” has issued the guidance. i.e. it’s not the bloke down the pub, or the person on eBay selling a load of cheap tat (or expensive gear for that matter). It is the HSE that has written this, so trying to defend oneself in court, or against an insurance claim, or for voiding the venue’s insurance etc, could be tricky if government guidance were ignored. To do so, one needs to have some pretty robust arguments ready.

HSG95 is the document used by the Local Authorities who are responsible for venue licencing, where lasers will often be a special provision on the venue’s Public Entertainment Licence. There is a wide variation on how “hot” Local Authorities are on checking laser installations, which is why some venues are able to get away with, what are quite frankly, dangerous or inappropriate laser setups, whilst others seem far stricter. It’s somewhat of a postcode lottery.

Hope this helps to make some of these points a little clearer.

Cheers,

James

Excellent James !!!

Thanks for chipping in and giving us the benefit of your knowledge. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Jem