Thread: Hazer running daily for long periods

Default Hazer running daily for long periods

Hello everyone
    I'm working on an art installation that will feature haze or smoke to make the light emitted from data projectors visible in the space, and I'm concerned about problems that might arise from the prolonged use.
    It will run daily for about 8 hours for a period of 4 months in a small room with a low ceiling, and the effect will be subtle, so I think haze would be more appropriate.
    I have done similar work before for events that last a single night and the results are really great, but have never had to plan for a long term one.

My first concern is about the maintenance of the machine itself because they require periodic cleaning, but I'm not sure how often depending if its a water or oil based hazer or a smoke machine. It seems water based effects require less frequent work, is that right?

Another issue is about the buildup of residues, especially inside the projectors, which will be sucking in air to keep cool.
    I could possibly build a structure around them to isolate them from the smoke or haze, leaving openings with filters to keep the particles out, but the filters might need to be cleaned or replaced. That would include a glass cover for the lens, which would have to be cleaned frequently.
    I guess the floor will also need frequent cleaning.
    Again, it seems water based effects leave less residues.

This room also work as the entrance to an exhibition that people will need to walk across to enter it, so the room will have door sized openings for entry into the gallery space and exit to the large main foyer of the museum.
    I'm worried about the smoke or haze going into the gallery and leaving residues on the artwork, although it seems that there won't be any artwork within 5 to 10 meters from entrance, and the ceiling is much higher inside.
    There will be no artwork inside the room that will have the smoke or haze.

My last concern is about noise, as I've worked with haze machines that are all a bit loud to be placed in a small room.
    Are there smaller and less noisy haze machines available?

I am also working with the museum to find out more about their smoke detectors to figure out what would trigger them.

I'm pretty sure there are other problems that might arise from using these effects for such periods of time that I'm not taking into account, so any other comments would be very welcome.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Have a look at Phantom Pea Souper or MDG Atmosphere hazers. Both these are professional oil based hazers but produce very little residue as they positively sip the haze fluid. They are used by TV and film production companies who would be extremely concerned about residue build up. They have an incredibly small micron size of haze which means extremely long hang time. If the air in the room is relatively still (no extractors etc) this can extend to several hours from just a single blast of haze. These type of hazers run on compressed CO2 gas and do not have pumps they are therefore extremely quiet. Hope this helps.

http://www.pea-soup.com/phantom-hazer.shtml

http://www.mdgfog.com/en/atmosphere-aps

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem, thanks for directing me to these hazers!
    It's great to know about very efficient machines, and both seem to be available in Australia.
    Also thanks for the explanation of hazers that run on compressed CO2, I didn't know about them.

I'm looking into their availability and pricing to work out these options with the client.
    Cheers

I supply Concept hazers in Australia. The pea soup hazers are these just re-badged.. Hit me up via PM and Ill give you some pricing.. However a museum is going to run a mile when oil based hazers are even mentioned..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    ...However a museum is going to run a mile when oil based hazers are even mentioned..
    Probably because of inferior models of oil based 'crackers' in the past, shame really.

@ Daniel... You could do a lot worse than contact Dave, he's a very well respected and reliable member here who I am sure can offer some great advice :-)

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks for your comments!
    I'm already in touch with Dave while waiting for the museum to make up its mind about the hazer.

Cheers
    Daniel