Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Laser Scam?

It has been interesting at best but I wonder where that sticker came from I highly doubt the ebay seller went through that much trouble to create such a sticker. But at the same time I have to agree with you Eidetic that this did not look like any spectra physics label I ever saw, I owned a few 168s back in the day and have been working with Spectra physics ion lasers for years.

The seller mentions a SN# 325 in his description if you zoom in on the label its 385 for sure for whatever that's worth.
    Should be interesting to see if anyone buys it.
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:
    https://dreamcasterlasershows.com/

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    ...highly doubt the ebay seller went through that much trouble to create such a sticker...this did not look like any spectra physics label I ever saw...
    Nah, for sure he didn't.. It's, I think, just an ancient 'Pre-CDRH era' sticker - Check out this shot of a - reeeealy old - like probably early '70s - 164 sled (sorry I don't have a better snap.. Only shot I have of this was from a few feet away, to get the whole sled in the frame, so this spot in the rear-end was tiny..)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PreCDRH_SP_Stkr.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	52368..But, even so, you can clearly see it had the 'inverted' white-in-black SP box, and a Lot less info on it, than the later 'CDRH-era' stickers, ie: Here's a couple different-style labels from the 80s..

Name:	PostCDRH_SP_Stkr.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	52369 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP_2020 stikr.jpg 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	52370 ...Mucho mas info on it / CDRH Regs info, blah blah.. And the 'BeO warning' sticker was placed elsewhere on the tube, itself, and not 'integrated' into the Manuf. label, anymore, as-per the 'Regs'..

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    ...seller mentions a SN# 325 in his description...on the label its 385 for sure for whatever that's worth.
    Sure, but also recall that he said "glass appears to be cracked on one spot", so.. heh, could be duplicity.. or 3/4 blindness.. Probably spent too much time staring at the plasma glo in those transfixing end-bells.. Those in the 'SP Glass-Owners Club' know of what I speak.. Like moths to the flame..

Fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Nah, for sure he didn't.. It's, I think, just an ancient 'Pre-CDRH era' sticker - Check out this shot of a - reeeealy old - like probably early '70s - 164 sled (sorry I don't have a better snap.. Only shot I have of this was from a few feet away, to get the whole sled in the frame, so this spot in the rear-end was tiny..)

Name:	PreCDRH_SP_Stkr.jpg 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	52368..But, even so, you can clearly see it had the 'inverted' white-in-black SP box, and a Lot less info on it, than the later 'CDRH-era' stickers, ie: Here's a couple different-style labels from the 80s..

Name:	PostCDRH_SP_Stkr.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	52369 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP_2020 stikr.jpg 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	52370 ...Mucho mas info on it / CDRH Regs info, blah blah.. And the 'BeO warning' sticker was placed elsewhere on the tube, itself, and not 'integrated' into the Manuf. label, anymore, as-per the 'Regs'..

Sure, but also recall that he said "glass appears to be cracked on one spot", so.. heh, could be duplicity.. or 3/4 blindness.. Probably spent too much time staring at the plasma glo in those transfixing end-bells.. Those in the 'SP Glass-Owners Club' know of what I speak.. Like moths to the flame..

Fwiw..
    j
    LOL great insight on this Jon agreed it could just be an old sticker. I will call you when I get out to LA next week.

Best
    M
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:
    https://dreamcasterlasershows.com/

Despite agreeing with Steve's analysis, I think the price is still off the charts. Mostly because of the absence of documentation. Everything's a guess. Educated guesses, but still guesses. And it's broken. But I always try to make fair deals for such things, and especially when the risk of shipping can be avoided.

Well I just bought this old tube for $165, and now hope it arrives without further damage. I really appreciate all the comments about it here, and especially Steve's reverse engineering. Very early laser prototypes and experiments look very much like homebuilt efforts (by today's standards). I'm lucky to have the benefit of the enormous depth of experience available here to help me sort them out.

The tube arrived very well packed in open-cell foam and double boxed. The sets of electrodes on each end are connected inside by a strip about 2 mm wide and 20 mm long, and there is a white powdery substance inside each end. They look like getters to me. The components inside the black central housing appear to be potted in, but are visible when I backlight them by way of a mirror and flashlight. The label does appear to be applied on top of another one of equal size, but I don't want to remove the top one. There is nothing inside the tipoff tube, no metal.

This tube does look very old. I've only seen plastic housing material like that on very old pieces. Same with brass screws. The little plastic feet look like very early Spectra-Physics feet. The metal coating on each end is applied on the outside of the glass. The patina on the wires looks very old. Everything is professionally made. The tube looks like it belongs in that cradle. The slippery plastic insulation strips look like they were intended to allow expansion of the tube. Anyway, I'm going to have to guess it to be from the '60s. Still a mystery though, but not a "scam".

Name:	SP-061 .jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	52575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-061 Front.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	52576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-061 Rear.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	52577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-061 RF Block.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	361.4 KB 
ID:	52578
    Last edited by Eidetic; 07-15-2017 at 15:35.

If the piece is genuine, it predates my time employed by SP in final testing during mid '70's. Unlike anything I ever saw there including model 162 engineering prototypes. Late '60's would be a good guess. Nice find.

If it is gas intact maybe carefully add voltage to see if you can get a plasma. Look for spectral lines to see what kind of laser it is.

It's hard for me to justify this being an ion laser tube, without a return path like I've seen in all other ion lasers. Nothing suggests a metal vapor laser. I'm thinking it's a he-ne made for some unknown special purpose or application.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Rf ion doesnt have cataphoresis. No return needed.

S.