Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin FB3 questions and a video

Andy

Yes, its the small one on the right, bottom board.

There should be a small locating pin on your connector, and a corresponding hole in the board, so you can't get it wrong. The locating pin's a bit fragile though and I have a couple that have come off. The small connector on the top board is the dmx input.

Be Careful !

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

yeah i thought it was the bottom one

cheers
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy , and anyone else who has an fb3.

I noticed in the pictures the top board with the usb connector on, is not secured to the motherboard.

You will need to make a spacer to fit in the space between the boards, and then put the bolt through both boards when fastening to your case.

If you don't, a small pull on the USB cable will pop the top board off the motherboard, and it will stop working. Its happened to one of mine.

Also get a 5m usb cable. The same pull , usually because the cable is too short, can result in the mini usb connector coming off the board, ( especially after its been well secured by the above recommendation ! ) . You really don't want to be soldering that back on !

The idea of the removabl card is so you can use several cards with varying content. ie swap them at will . You need to cut a slot. The led indicators also tell you the boards status, so try to make them visible too. I can show you our version of what you are doing, when you come to the meet up.

Fluff
    Last edited by fluff; 07-08-2007 at 01:12.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

We have all our FB3's mounted in 1RU rack cases. Instead of the mini usb sockets, i have a usb-b socket mounted on the back panel to avoid the FB3 getting damaged... Maybe i should post a few pics?

The led indicators really don't serve much purpose, i never worried too much about them...
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

max speed is 30k. you can only lower the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    The led indicators really don't serve much purpose, i never worried too much about them...
    Hi Dave

I see your point , but, you're an experienced user ! The leds are useful for fault finding on the signal chain, especially for someone like Andy with steep learning curve and just beginning ( no offense Andy ! ). They could be a welcome sight to him, if he's having a problem.

They're also useful if you have to do product support on the phone to an inexperienced client. Most of the product support I've had to do for the Neo lasers involved the clients computer ! The leds help determine that fact very quickly . ie has the usb driver hooked up, is the card recieving data.

All the best

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Hi Andy,

First, the DT-40 scanners are really 30K scanners. They are essentially copies of the 6800, which was a 30K scanner. Tuning them faster only generates heat and unwanted resonances. If you come to the upcoming SELEM, I would be happy to tune them for you, and give you other information...

Second, the LiveQUICK software that you have has a master scan rate setting (found in the settings menu I think), and then the actual scan rate for each cue can be specified in terms of a percentage of the master scan rate, or as an absolute scan rate for a particular cue. On top of that, there is a sort of "Live scan rate control" which is specified in percent as well.

For example, lets say you have your master scan rate set to 30K. Then lets say that a particular cue is set to run at 100% of the master scan rate. Then lets say you take the "Live control scan rate" to 50%. Well, at that point, your scan rate being output will be 15K, since the live control rate is 50% of whatever the cue says (in this case, the cue says 100% of 30K).

Probably none of this matters in the context of hurting scanners, because the default workspace we give you was optimized for use with 30K scanners. You should not be able to do any harm, regardless of how you move the live control sliders, etc.

I would love to explain this more, but doing it in person is a lot more effective than through a forum...

Best regards,

William Benner

Smile

Thanks for the input Bill!

Unfortunately, Andy_Con won't be able to attend SELEM this summer. He's in the UK. (Although I think he's planning to attend the UKLEM they're planning.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Andy , and anyone else who has an fb3.

I noticed in the pictures the top board with the usb connector on, is not secured to the motherboard.

You will need to make a spacer to fit in the space between the boards, and then put the bolt through both boards when fastening to your case.

If you don't, a small pull on the USB cable will pop the top board off the motherboard, and it will stop working. Its happened to one of mine.

Also get a 5m usb cable. The same pull , usually because the cable is too short, can result in the mini usb connector coming off the board, ( especially after its been well secured by the above recommendation ! ) . You really don't want to be soldering that back on !

The idea of the removabl card is so you can use several cards with varying content. ie swap them at will . You need to cut a slot. The led indicators also tell you the boards status, so try to make them visible too. I can show you our version of what you are doing, when you come to the meet up.

Fluff
    the usb on the fb3 is secured to the board??? could you post some pics mate???

i dont get what the card is for? storeing shows? if so how do you load them onto it??

i dont need to see the leds LOL
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    We have all our FB3's mounted in 1RU rack cases. Instead of the mini usb sockets, i have a usb-b socket mounted on the back panel to avoid the FB3 getting damaged... Maybe i should post a few pics?

yeah some pics please mate
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat